North and South Chapels at Woodvale Crematorium
COVID-19 service update
Changes to bereavement services
Although this will be very difficult for everyone, Bereavement Service are advising that the numbers of those attending should be kept to a minimum and only immediate family. A limit of 12 mourners has been put in place at the chapels. The limit will ensure that the UK Government’s social distancing measures are complied with.
Those over the age of 70 and those with under underlying health condition are strongly discouraged from attending in line with UK Government guidance.
Please do not visit Woodvale, if you (or anyone in your household) is showing any symptoms including a fever and/or a continuous cough,
Bereavement Services have removed all the hymn books from our chapels. An upgrade is being put in place to allow hymn lyrics to appear on the TV screens in the chapels. This applies to the 90 most popular hymns. Download the list of hymns (PDF 36.2KB). If you require a different hymn then you need to add the lyrics to your Orders of Service.
Those unable to attend a funeral service at Woodvale Crematorium due to the current limit on the number of mourners can watch a live webcast of the service. There is currently no charge for this service. To find out more, contact the team at Woodvale.
Built originally in 1856 and refurbished most recently in 2013, the North and South Chapels are either side of the main crematorium building (in the photograph the North Chapel is on the left-hand side). Each chapel has:
- free parking including spaces for disabled badge holders
- a waiting room with toilets (located opposite the South Chapel)
- seating for approximately 80 people
- an online music system (Obitus - two working days minimum notice required)
- a screen to display images via the Obitus system
- an electric organ
- equipment to play music from CDs and MP3 players
- disabled access and hearing aid loops
Download a picture (PDF 656KB)
Unlike the South Chapel, The North Chapel is consecrated and features a stained-glass window and altar.
Download a picture (PDF 990KB)
Download a picture (PDF 970KB)
- Services should be kept to 30 minutes. For longer services, a double booking will have to be made and an additional fee would be applicable to the basic cremation costs.
- A use of chapel fee applies if being used for a burial service, memorial service only or if the coffin is then being taken on to a crematorium not operated by Brighton & Hove City Council.