As well as grants delivered by the council's Communities and Equality team, the council administers a number of other grants to community groups and local residents. Listed below is a selection of these grants. You can also download all the information below in our Granted - grants information leaflet (PDF 515 KB)

Grants for the voluntary and community sector


Information and advice on funding to support local projects and work with organisations across Europe and internationally, to address mutual problems and common themes of interest. Most of the funding that can be accessed is EU funding which will continue until the UK leaves the European Union. Key bidding opportunities include Interreg Va, which runs from 2014-2020, (joint projects with French, Belgian and/or Dutch partners) and ESIF (overseen by  Coast to Capital LEP for our area) which provides vocational training to help people get to work or move towards participation in the labour market, along with funding to support small businesses.  EU funding will be available in such areas as vocational, training, adult education, youth, culture, environment and community safety. Grants can vary from paying travel and accommodation costs for an initial meeting, to much larger sums depending on the project and grants scheme.

For further information visit the International Team web page or call the International Team on 01273 292622.

Early Years and Childcare

Early Years and Childcare (EYC) is part of Brighton & Hove's Children's Services. The team works with childcare providers across the city to ensure that there is sufficient childcare providers across the city for parents to work or train.

Some funding is also available for qualification courses for childcare staff in eligible non maintained Ofsted-registered childcare settings in Brighton & Hove. For more information, please contact the EYC Childcare Workforce Development Team on 01273 294263.

Discretionary rate relief

Charities and not-for-profit organisations that are liable to pay business rates may apply for discretionary rate relief. Please note that there are limited funds and not all applicants will be successful. Awards may cover rates liability in part or full. For further information please contact the Business Rates Team on 01273 291981.

A selection of other Brighton & Hove City Council grants

Charitable trusts funds

Gorham's Gift

A legacy trust fund that generates approximately £45,000 per year towards the upkeep of certain properties in Telscombe Village. Contact the Accountant, Central Accounting on 01273 291259.

Brighton Fund

The Brighton Fund is aimed at local individuals in need, the trust has a small annual income to help local people who are in hardship or distress, especially people aged over 60. It helps people to meet a wide range of needs such as essential household items, white goods etc, with a one-off grant with a limit of normally £500.  All applicants must be made by a third party such as a welfare adviser, social worker.  Contact Democratic Services on 01273 291077 or email:

Local Discretionary Social Fund

The Local Discretionary Social Fund is to help people in a crisis or emergency, or to help someone live independently in their own home, without the need for further care.  It is available to vulnerable residents of Brighton & Hove. It is a non-cash fund and provides essential items directly.

For further information, visit the Local Discretionary Social Fund webpage or contact the Discretionary Help and Advice Team 01273 293117.

Student support

Higher Education:  first degree & equivalent

Loans and/or grants for full-time and part-time undergraduate students are now dealt with by Student Finance England (SFE). Disabled students' allowances for full-time and part-time undergraduate and postgraduate students are also dealt with by SFE. Their website is at and their helpline is 0845 0738 892.

Further Education from age 16: A levels GCSE's, BTEC National Diploma

If you are aged between 16 and 19 years and think you might struggle with the costs for full-time education or training, you may be eligible for a bursary. You should speak to your school, college, Academy or training provider about how to apply for a bursary.

Private sector housing and independent living

  • Owner occupiers' Decent Homes Loans
  • Leaseholder-occupiers' Common Parts Loans

Loans are delivered in partnership with the Parity Trust. They are subject to availability, eligibility criteria and a survey to ascertain suitability of the property for the assistance applied for.

For further information, call the Private Sector Housing team on 01273 293156 (then option 1) or email

Adaptations team

  • Disabled Facilities Grants - for further information call 01273 292443
  • Adaptations for council tenants - for further information call 01273 292443

Housing Revenue Account

Communal Council Property Improvements

The Estate Development Budget is a tenant choice budget that delivers resident led improvements for an area. Funds improvements to a council building or council owned land, community facilities or the local environment, and enhances the quality of life for residents in the area. The projects must benefit the community (not just one household) 

Tenant and resident association grants

Provided to resident associations or groups representing residents living in council housing that are recognised by the council. Grants cover administration of the associations and costs incurred in taking part in consultation with the council and in telling local people what the organisation is doing including telephone calls, transport to council meetings, stationery, child care and carers' costs.

For further information contact the Resident Involvement Team on 01273 294651 or email: