Registering a birth

Register a birth

Where do I register?

Your baby's birth must be registered in the registration district where it took place. If your baby was born in Brighton or Hove you can book a birth registration online or telephone to make an appointment on (01273) 292016.

Our opening hours are 9.30am - 5pm Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm on Wednesday)

Brighton Town Hall, Bartholomews, Brighton, BN1 1JA

Do you live outside Brighton and Hove?

You can attest a 'declaration' at any Register Office within England and Wales.

It is now possible to register a baby born in the Brighton & Hove district at Lewes Register Office. Call them on 0345 60 80 198.

Who can register?

Opposite sex couples

If the baby's mother and father were married to each other at the time of the birth, either parent may register.

If the mother and father were not married at the time of the birth, the mother may register alone, but the father's details can only be entered if they attend to register together.

If this is difficult the mother or father may make a statutory declaration using a prescribed form (please contact us for further details), or the father's details can be added by re-registering the child at a later date. Other people may register the birth in exceptional circumstances. For further information please contact us on (01273) 292016.

Same sex couples

Same sex couples can now become equal legal parents of children they conceive together or conceive through a surrogate.

Female couples who are civil partners or married at the time of the conception and conceive a child through artificial insemination will both automatically be treated as their child's legal parents.

Female couples who are not civil partners at the time of conception but who conceive together through a fertility clinic in the UK licensed by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority may also be treated as legal parents.

Different options are available to gay men depending on their specific circumstances.

If the baby has been born to a same-sex couple, please telephone us for further advice and information on (01273) 292016

Further information can also be obtained by visiting this link to Stonewall website- guide to 'Parenthood for same-sex couples'

If you are a foreign national
Further information about your baby's citizenship eligibility can be obtained by visiting this link to Gov uk citizenship


What documents do I need to bring?

Please bring the following documents with you:

  • current passport
  • proof of address (such as a council tax bill)
  • driving licence
  • if applicable your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • if applicable your name change documents such as name deed or deed poll

How much does it cost?

Registration is free.

You can purchase birth certificates at the time of registration for £11.00 each.

What information will the registrar ask for?


  • date and place of birth
  • whether the baby is a boy or a girl
  • the full name and surname in which the baby is to be brought up


  • full names and surname
  • date and place of birth
  • address at the time of the birth
  • her occupation

Father or co-Parent (If his/her details are to be entered in the register)

  • full names and surname
  • date and place of birth
  • his/her occupation

Please ensure you provide accurate information and check the details carefully before you sign the entry while you are at your appointment.

Correction Fees. There is a charge of up to £90.00 (depending on type) for an application for correction.  

​​Forenames added within 12 months of birth registration will cost £40.00

Please read our PRIVACY NOTICE (PDF 167.72KB)