Applying for birth, death and marriage certificates

Registration records for Brighton, Hove and Steyning

Apply for a certificate and we will supply you with a certified copy of a register entry.

  • If you are applying for a birth certificate we will automatically supply a full (long) birth certificate.
  • If you got married in the last two years at the Register Office or an approved venue you will need to contact us by telephone to request a copy certificate.​

Search Room opening times Brighton Town Hall: Monday - Friday 9:30 am until 12:00 pm (Wednesday from 10:00 am) 

Our opening hours for certificate applications in person are above. Applications outside these times may be made online or you may leave a voice mail and we will contact you as soon as possible. We accept priority and express applications until midday.

Find out what you need to apply for a copy certificate.


Certificate applications must be accompanied by payment. If you apply for a certificate online it is essential that you also pay online, as without payment we're unable to process your application and your application will be delayed.

We offer a same day online priority service and an express 'while you wait' service (personal callers). Current fees for certificates are shown below:

If you request your certificate to be sent by post, we are unable to accept any responsibility should it not arrive or gets lost in the post. A certificate is a security item and we are unable to replace certificates free of charge. 

Postage and handling fees Charge
Copy certificates postage and packaging-handling fee £1
Priority service special delivery charge £7
Overseas postage £6

Applying by post

You can apply by post by writing to the Register Office. Please enclose a self addressed envelope and a cheque payable to Brighton & Hove City Council. Please also include a daytime contact telephone number (preferably mobile) where you can be easily reached, just in case we need to contact you.

Please help us search for the entry you require, and provide as much information as possible when you submit your application. The more you tell us the better chance we have of finding the correct entry. Unfortunately if you have a GRO reference this will not help us because the national index is entirely different from those held at local Register Offices.

Obtaining certificates from elsewhere

general register office logo

We only have access and hold records of births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths which occurred in Brighton & Hove, so if you wish to apply for a certificate from anywhere else in the United Kingdom and Southern Ireland you may find the following links useful: