Stanmer Park Restoration Project - News and updates
Description: Stanmer park groundsWelcome to our page giving latest news and updates from the Stanmer Park Restoration Project.
Construction started on 24 June 2019. Project construction will complete in autumn 2020.
Find out more about this major project on the main Stanmer Park Restoration Project web page.
- Read restoration project story developments so far (below)
- View our Project Updates (below.)
Latest news and updates
Project construction has started in the Walled Garden area. There will be no construction work in the main park until mid-October 2019.
Oral History Project - get involved: Volunteer oral historians (deadline extended), and drop-in Memory Days
We're advertising for ten volunteers to help us work with local people to chronicle and record their memories of Stanmer Park. Find out more about becoming a volunteer. Completed applications must be received by the extended deadline of Monday 29 July 2019.
We're also holding public drop-in memory days for people to share memories, photos and memorabilia from Stanmer. These activities are part of the Restoration Project's Activity Plan. Read full details in the June 2019 Project Update.
Stanmer Woods ecological survey and assessment
We're inviting the public to help us, between 21 June and 26 July 2019, with a review of our ecological records for Stanmer Great Wood, Pudding Bag Wood, High Park Wood and Upper Lodges Wood.
If you know of plant or animal species, flora or fauna, in these areas and want to check they are recorded and correctly located, email email@example.com and we will coordinate details.
This review is to make sure our information is as accurate as possible when planning our woodland management plan activities for 2019 and 2020. You can view maps on the main Stanmer Park webpage.
Meet Stanmer Park Restoration Project team members at Apple Day 2019
This popular annual event, run by the Brighton Permaculture Trust, is on Sunday 22 September. Members of the Stanmer Park Restoration Project will be at the event again sharing information about the Project, and offering games and activities for all to enjoy. Find out more about Apple Day.
Breeze out of Brighton by bus! - Summer 2019 leaflet available now
Stanmer Park is just one of a number of fantastic South Downws National Park countryside locations in East and West Sussex you can reach easily by bus. This colourful new leaflet gives you all the information you need. See below for the 28 April to 21 September 2019 Stanmer Park 78 bus timetable.
Breeze bus number 78 - summer timetable (28 April to 21 September 2019.)
Stanmer's 78 service runs every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday.
Join the Tidy Up Team
This project, organised by the council, gives people the skills, information, tools, and materials to carry out litterpicking tasks safely in green spaces across the city. The project includes Stanmer Park. Find out more about how you could get involved and help at Stanmer Park.
Road repairs - now complete
June 2019: The work to repair a large number of potholes on the central Stanmer Park route has finished.
Tree works - project works complete
Some trees have been pruned or felled in the existing Lower Lodges parking areas, and adjacent to the Walled Garden area, to prepare for restoration project improvement works. Some of these trees posed a safety risk.
Targeted wildlife surveys were undertaken by suitably qualified ecologists at both sites before work began, and during the works, to ensure the works did not disrupt any early nesting bird species, dormouse nests or bats. No evidence of any bird or dormice nests, or of bat occupation, was found.
Around 250 new trees will be planted in the restoration area later in the project. No memorial trees were affected by this work.
Project update bulletins
Read project updates issued so far here:
If you wish to receive these updates direct to your email box, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The restoration project story so far
Follow the project's progress by reading the city council's issued news stories below. These are presented in reverse date order, with the most recent first:
- Help us explore the history of Stanmer Park (Oral History volunteers sought) (25 June 2019)
- Contractors prepare for Stanmer Park restoration (20 June 2019)
- "Talking Trees" - information and invitation to comment on draft Stanmer Woodland Management Plan (January 2018)
- Council takes action on inconsiderate parking (November 2017)
- New lease of life for felled elms (October 2017)
- Stanmer Park restoration - plus explanatory video (April 2017)
- City celebrates as Parks for People says 'yes' to Stanmer park (January 2017) - Announcement of the Heritage Lottery Fund and Big Lottery Fund £3.75m funding award
- Stanmer Park plans move closer as council submits Heritage Lottery Fund bid (September 2016)
- Stanmer Park consultation (March 2016)
- Next steps to secure Stanmer's future (January 2016)
- "Lottery says 'yes' to Stanmer Park" - Announcement of the successful Heritage Lottery Fund and Big Lottery Fund development funding bid (January 2015)
- HLF says yes to Stanmer bid (South Downs National Park release)
- Bid to bring Stanmer's 18th Century landscape to a 21st Century audience (November 2014)
- Clarification over Stanmer Park improvements (April 2014)
- Masterplan to fulfil Stanmer's potential announced (January 2014)
- Have your say on future of historic Stanmer Estate (June 2013)
Keep in touch
- Sign up to receive project updates by email. Email email@example.com to be added to the list. Hard copies are available in the park's Tea Rooms and at Stanmer House. We will process your provided data in order to keep you updated on the Stanmer Park Restoration Project. Learn more about our privacy notice.
- Follow us on social media, Facebook and Twitter.
|Breeze out of Brighton leaflet FINAL - Summer 2019 web.pdf||2.58 MB|