Dedicate a Bench
Celebrate a birth, anniversary, achievement or someone's life in a unique fashion by dedicating a bench for that special person or occasion.
Choose the location you want in a public park or garden. You can adopt an existing bench or have a new one made especially for the occasion.
The bench is based on a design first used in Preston Park in 1883. A stainless steel plaque with an inscription can be fixed to the back of the seat (we advise no more than 50 characters).
- A new bench, plaque and one year's maintenance: £1,064.40 (including VAT)
- Plaques can be added to some existing benches: £135.30 (including VAT).
Note: The appearance and layout of wording on plaques may vary due to the required wording length.
Apply for a bench
Please fill in an online application to adopt an existing bench or have a new one made.
The process of dedicating a bench can take up to four months to complete.
Please contact us for more information about applying for a bench:
- Telephone: 01273 292929
- Email: email@example.com
We do not hold a list of benches available to adopt, but please let us know if you have identified one without a plaque and we can look into its availability for you. Some locations may not be suitable for benches, eg conservation areas, nature reserves, cemeteries and the seafront are subject to different arrangements. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or Tel 01273 292929 to ask for specific details.
- For benches in Rottingdean or Falmer, we will also consult with the parish councils
- We are unfortunately not able to accept requests for bench dedications in Stanmer Park until the Stanmer Park Restoration Project construction ends in autumn 2020
- You can adopt an existing bench in Preston Park or The Level, but we cannot add any new benches to these parks at the moment.
- Unfortunately we cannot currently place benches in Hove Park, St Ann's Well Gardens, Pavilion Gardens or anywhere along the Brighton and Hove seafront
- For enquiries about bench dedications in cemeteries, contact Bereavement Services.