Allotment co-worker policy

Allotment flower crop

Tenants can share cultivation by registering a co-worker on their plot. Registered co-workers are issued keys and are allowed to work on the relevant plot without supervision. Co-workers have no legal tenancy rights and are not responsible for any part of the annual rent. Subletting to co-workers is not permitted, please note that co-workers must be registered with the council.

If you want to register a co-worker you should contact your site representative. They will have the relevant forms, as well as spare keys for the co-worker once they have been signed up. One copy of your co-worker’s form should be sent in to the council, either directly or left with the site representative to send in. You will also need to keep a second signed copy of your co-worker’s agreement as proof of status (always complete two copies of the agreement per co-worker)

Number of co-workers allowed per plot

For a standard plot (125 metres square) you are allowed a maximum of two named co–workers. For a double plot (250 metres square) you are allowed a maximum of three named co-workers. If you want more than three co-workers then you will need to register as a properly constituted community gardening group.

Co-workers and plot transfers

Some tenants, when they finally give up their plots, like their co-workers to take over the tenancy. This is allowed but is not automatic. Your co-worker will need to have been registered on your plot for a minimum of two years - or as long as the person at the top of your site’s waiting list. This is in order to stop co-workers jumping the queue ahead of people on the waiting list.

To assess whether your co-worker has been working the plot for the required period you will need to contact the council’s allotment service, seek advice and arrange a plot handover. Plot transfers are only completed once the allotment service has received both a written request from the tenant and a new tenancy agreement from the co-worker.

Plots should be transferred towards the end of the summer in order to avoid over-complicating the transfer process. If a plot is handed-over in September we can have the new tenant identified on our database in readiness for the following year’s invoice.

Co-workers and waiting lists

Co-workers can apply for/remain on allotment waiting lists. However if the tenancy of the plot they are co-working is transferred to them they will be removed from the waiting list. We ask that as part of any handover process they should contact the council and inform us of the situation to help us keep the waiting lists up-to-date.

Additional co-worker information

  • A co-worker can only be a co-worker on up to two plots in total across the city.
  • The co-worker must make themselves aware of, and comply with, the allotment tenancy rules.
  • For any breach of the tenancy rules, notice of termination may be served on the tenant. The named tenant is responsible for the actions of the co-worker and both would have to vacate the plot.
  • The named tenant is allowed to cease this agreement at any time.
  • The council reserves the right to end co-worker status for a co-worker if they are breaching allotment rules or are involved in incidents of harassment or undertaking any illegal activity.
  • The council reserves the right to deny co-worker status for any individual who is currently involved in an allotment dispute or investigation.
  • The council reserves the right to deny future co-worker status to any individual who has had co-worker status ended for misconduct, harassment or undertaken an illegal activity on an allotment.
  • The council will allow residents from Adur district to become co-workers on Eastbrook farm or St. Louis Home allotments. Only co-workers who reside in Brighton & Hove can inherit a tenancy for these sites.
  • Your details may be passed on to the Brighton & Hove Allotment Federation to enable them to contact you in the future, e.g. newsletter and other information.

Enquiries to the allotments service from co-workers

Ideally plot specific enquiries will come from the tenant, as they are the legally recognised holder of the plot. However in the case of the tenant being unable to communicate with the council then the co-worker may approach the council in their place.