Lifestyle benefits for staff
Brighton & Hove City Council staff who travel to and from work can take advantage of the following:
- Public Transport Season Ticket loans - to cover the cost of buying bus or rail season tickets. This loan can be used along with the Easit Travel Card (see below for details)
- Bicycle loans - to help with buying a pedal or electric cycle. Staff can borrow from £100 to £1,000 and, in addition to a bike, the loan can be used to buy protective clothing and maintenance parts.
- Car loans - staff who use their private car to travel more than 1,000 miles a year on council business can apply for a loan of up to £8,000 to help with the cost of buying a replacement.
Easit travel card
The Easit travel card costs £4.80 and it provides staff with a range of travel-related benefits, including:
- 15% discount on Southern Trains
- 10% discount on Brighton & Hove Buses, Compass Travel and Metrobus routes
- 10% discount on Stagecoach buses in the Brighton area
- 10% discount at Halfords
- Discounts on bike insurance
Microsoft home computer initiative
This initiative enables staff to purchase (for personal use only) Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 for PC, or Office Home & Business 2016 for Mac, for just £9.95.
Trade union membership
We support trade union membership amongst our employees and recognise trade unions for the purposes of employee representation and collective bargaining. When you join the council you may wish to join a trade union. The council recognises Unison, GMB and a number of teaching unions.
Our staff can enjoy a wide range of discounts from local and national retailers. Full details of the discounts we offer are listed on the intranet.
Simply health cash plan
This is a discounted scheme for council staff. In return for a monthly payment, staff can get cashback towards their healthcare bills and up to 100% cashback on dental and optical bills (up to annual limits). Other health benefits include chiropody treatment, acupuncture, physiotherapy and osteopathy.
We have teamed up with the East Sussex Credit Union to give our staff the chance to save through their salary while helping the local community. The credit union is a savings and loans provider with an ethical and local difference. The more people that save with them, the more the credit union will be able to offer loans to local people who may have a poor credit rating. This helps to tackle poverty and keeps local money, local.
Enterprise city car club
Our staff can get discounted membership at Enterprise Car Club. As registered members council staff are entitled to an exclusive discount of free membership for the first year, usually priced at £60.