Homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
We understand that the risk of homelessness can be very stressful. It is important to get help and advice at an early stage.
If you're living rough on the street
Learn about our street outreach service
If you're under 25
You can access housing advice for 16-25 year olds
If you're a Brighton & Hove council tenant
Please contact Housing Customer Services for the Tenancy Support team
If you don't have a local connection to Brighton & Hove
We will help you access services in your local area
Finding accommodation in Brighton & Hove
There is very little social housing in Brighton & Hove and a huge demand for accommodation. This means that council and housing association properties are not widely available. Most people who need to move find accommodation in the private sector.
Useful information for different situations
Below is some information which might help you:
- to stay in your home
- if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- deal with your rent arrears
- deal with mortgage debt
- if you are affected by domestic violence
- if you are affected by non-violent relationship breakdown
- who to contact in an emergency
Over 25 and homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?
We can provide help and advice to help you to stay in your current home.
Our Housing Options Team can give you advice and information on what your options are.
Before you contact us you may want to find out more about what we'll look at if you make a homeless application.
If you've made a homeless application and are unhappy with our decision then you can request a review of your homeless application.
How we use your data
The new Homelessness Reduction Act requires us to collect H-CLIC (Homelessness Case Level Information Classification) data and share it with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MCHLG). MHCLG want to learn more about the help provided to people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. For more information, please view or download our H-CLIC personal data privacy notice (PDF 161KB).
There are range of specialist advice services in Brighton & Hove:
- Advice for Gypsies and Travellers
- Immigration advice and support
- Housing advice for ex-service personnel
- LGBT advice services
- Advice Brighton provides information on a range of different services including housing and homelessness and dealing with debt
- Citizen's Advice Bureau
- Support 4 Housing can help if you or anyone in your household needs housing-related support
- Community Base offer information on a wide range of services across Brighton & Hove as well as information about jobs in the community
- My Life directory lists services and organisations in Brighton and Hove offering housing and homelessness support