Housing advice - help to stay in your current home

Money problems

You can use our online benefits calculator to check if you can claim housing benefit if you rent your home, or to see if you are eligible for council tax reduction, Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credits

If you are a home owner Shelter's advice on mortgage arrears may be useful. You can also contact the housing options team to see if they can help you negotiate with your bank.

If you have problems with debt there is help available.


If you are renting, you should first report problems to your landlord or letting agent. If repairs are not done in a reasonable time, or you are worried about your health and safety, our private sector housing team may be able to help. You can look at our private sector housing web pages or complete our private sector housing assistance form or call us on 01273 293156 to get help.

If you own your home you may find our home improvements information useful 

These pages also contain advice about how to prevent condensation and damp.

Adaptations to your home

If you have a disability you may need help to live more independently.  There are a number of ways the council can help you whether you own your home, rent privately, or are a council or housing association tenant.

These can include providing equipment to make daily tasks easier, or adapting your home to make it more accessible or help you use baths and showers.

Keeping warm

If your home is damp or cold check out the different ways to make your home more energy efficient. Find out what you can do about condensation and damp.

Problems with neighbours

Neighbour disputes can sometimes be solved by our expert mediation service. Independent mediators help find a solution that suits everyone. It gets results.

Our community Safety team can give advice and support for residents experiencing anti-social behaviour

Housing advice

The Housing Options service  is available to anyone over 25 years old, or by referral for 16-25 year olds

You might also be interested in

What you can do about empty properties in your area

Tenants rights and responsibilities