What should I do if I have difficulty paying my rent?

Get in touch

Contact the Housing Income Management Team in complete confidence as soon as possible. We are here to help and the earlier you contact us the easier it will be for us to help you.

If you do get into arrears we will try to negotiate an agreement to help you pay off the arrears without incurring other debts. We can also refer you for specialist advice to make sure you are getting all the benefit and tax credits you are entitled to, or to help you if you have high levels of debt and just can’t cope.

Action you can take to avoid getting into arrears

Remember, the Housing Income Management Team is here to help you, so if you're having trouble clearing your arrears, contact the team  to agree a repayment plan as soon as possible.

What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?

If you don’t pay your rent and fail to get in touch with the Housing Income Management Team, we will make every attempt to contact you and help you with any difficulties that might be stopping you from making a payment. However, if you won’t work with us then we will serve a Notice of Seeking Possession on you. This is the first stage of legal proceedings, which may result in you losing your home.

We will continue to try and help you but if you do not pay your rent, or if you continually fail to keep to a repayment plan to clear any arrears, you may end up being evicted from your home.

If you are having difficulty, contact the Housing Income Management Team  immediately.

Rent Arrears and Associated Debt Recovery Policy

View or download Brighton & Hove City Council’s Rent Arrears and Associated Debt Policy [PDF 82kb].

Associated debts might include garage and car parking rent, Housing Benefit overpayments, court costs, recharges, Supporting People charges or former tenant debts.

Please also see the council's Corporate Debt Recovery & Collection Policy.