Mutual exchanges

A mutual exchange is when council or housing association tenants swap homes. 

If you’re looking for someone to exchange with, you can use Exchange Locata which is a local service. You can also use one of the services listed below - some of these you may need to pay for).

You can list your current house, and search for which type of house is suitable for you. Once you’ve found someone who wants to exchange, you need to apply to using the form available to download below. You can also exchange with council or housing association tenants from other local authorities if everybody involved agrees.

You can apply for a mutual exchange as long as:

  • you currently have a secure tenancy agreement - introductory tenancies are not eligible
  • the properties meet everybody’s assessed needs - if you receive Housing Benefit it is important that you read about the changes introduced in April 2013
  • no legal action is being taken against anyone involved for breaking the terms of their tenancy
  • your rent is up to date before you move

To check that your rent is up to date, you can login or register on our housing customer online system.

How to apply 

If you've found someone you'd like to exchange with, you need to choose a Brighton & Hove City Council tenant to act as the lead tenant for the exchange.

If you're the lead tenant, you can start the mutual exchange application online.

We'll then send emails to everyone else involved in the exchange with their section of the online application to complete.

What happens next?

We will:

  • review your application
  • request references from the landlords of everyone involved in the exchange
  • visit the properties in the exchange if they're in Brighton & Hove to make sure they're suitable
  • ask you to restore the property to its original condition, or pay for any work needed if you’ve made alterations without our permission or caused any damage

If we agree for the exchange to go ahead, you and the other parties in the exchange will need to agree a move in date with us.

For more information about the Mutual Exchange process with Brighton & Hove City Council, download our Mutual Exchange leaflet (PDF 88KB).