Leaseholders' insurance claims

As a leaseholder there are two types of insurance cover you need to have: 

1. Building insurance

This is to insure against loss or damage caused by certain perils (including fire, storm and escape of water) to your interior decorations, fixtures and fittings, and for your share of damage to common parts of the building. As the landlord, the council arranges this cover. You pay for this through your service charge.

The lease you have bought demised the premises to you and as such the interior is your responsibility. Neither the council nor its partner contractor, Mears, can remedy damage within your premises. The policy is in place so that you can claim back the costs you incur on your own contractors rectifying any damage.

2. Contents insurance

You will need to take out your own contents insurance. This is to cover damage to any items that are not fixed such as furniture, rugs or electrical equipment. The council can recommend Thistle Insurance Services Ltd, insured by Allianz Insurance PLC, who offer a good choice of cover with very competitive premium rates but you can of course choose to make your own arrangements through any other insurer. Thistle Insurance Services can be contacted on 0845 601 7007 (or 01628 586 187 from a mobile).

Making a claim - a step-by-step guide

If you are unlucky enough to suffer damage to your flat from an insured peril, you should follow the steps below. The perils and exclusions are set out in your policy booklet. The Leasehold Team can send you a booklet if you do not have one.

Step 1

Ensure that the cause of the damage has been rectified.

  • If the source is from another flat, this will mean confirmation from your neighbours
  • If you are unable to get confirmation from your neighbours, contact housing customer services for assistance
  • If it is from a common part of the building, contact our Repairs Helpdesk on 0800 052 6140 or 01273 294409 or e-mail

Step 2

If interior decoration, plasterwork or fixtures and fittings are damaged, telephone the claims team on 0800 026 1841. Failure to notify the insurer of a claim within 90 days of any occurrence will void the claim.

Step 3

Tell them what has happened and that you are a leaseholder of Brighton & Hove City Council. All of the insurers’ details are below:


Zurich Insurance

Property Claims
PO Box 3886

Policy Number: 10/006460/05500384

The claims handlers aim to keep the process as simple as possible and there are no forms to complete. It will normally be your responsibility to select a contractor and arrange for repair works to be carried out.

Step 4

If contents such as furniture or electrical goods have been damaged by an insured peril, contact your own contents insurance provider.

Do you have the right level of cover?

Did you know that the default level of Building Insurance cover you pay for through your service charge is for standard perils only.

If you have not already done so and would like to extend your cover to include accidental damage, you should contact the Leasehold Team on 01273 293074 or who can advise you of the additional premium and change your level of cover if you so wish.

If you encounter any difficulties in making an insurance claim, please contact the council’s Insurance Team for help or advice on (01273) 291276 or

Solicitors may wish to view our portal liability claims page.