Homemove - who can apply and how to apply

Demand for housing in Brighton & Hove exceeds supply - unfortunately, it is not possible for us to rehouse everyone who applies. There are thousands of households on our waiting list, meaning that there are likely to be a lot of people bidding for each available property and those in the most urgent housing need get the highest priority. Most people looking for housing locally find it in the private rented sector.

Who can apply?

Brighton & Hove City Council and the housing associations in the city work together on a combined housing list - meaning that if you are looking for social housing in Brighton & Hove, you only have to make one application.

We operate Homemove, a choice based lettings scheme to let our properties - please see our Homemove page or visit the Homemove website for further details.

Following a city-wide consultation, we updated our Choice Based Lettings scheme allocations policy (PDF 652KB) in December 2016 to help ensure the council can house residents in the greatest need. It means that we are restricting the housing register to those most in need and those who we have a statutory duty to house. View a summary of the key changes to our allocations policy (PDF 108KB).

To be eligible for the Brighton & Hove Joint Housing Register under the revised policy, you must be aged 18 or over, in housing need and and fit a local connection criteria of five years residency.

Please note - if you are subject to immigration control, you will be asked to provide us with a copy of your status papers and we will only be able to accept your application if:

  • you have refugee status, or
  • you have been granted exceptional leave to remain and are not subject to a ‘no recourse to public funds condition’, or
  • you have been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain, not subject to any limitation or condition (settled status), unless you have obtained leave on the basis of a sponsorship undertaking and have been resident in the UK for less than five years (unless your sponsor has died), or
  • you provide your worker registration card or proof of employment if you are a citizen from an A8 country

More information for refugees and asylum seekers.

How do I apply?

To apply for general needs or seniors housing in Brighton & Hove, whether you are applying for the first time or are applying for a transfer, you need to fill in a Brighton & Hove Joint Housing Register application form:

Once we receive your completed form, it will be assessed and you will be given a priority band according to your housing need. If you disagree with the priority band you’ve been given, you can ask the council to review the decision by completing our online housing application - request a review form or by emailing us at homemove@brighton-hove.gov.uk.

Further information: