Council leaseholder information

Who is a Brighton & Hove City Council leaseholder?

If you have bought a council flat or maisonette, either directly through the 'Right to Buy' scheme or from a previous owner, you are a council leaseholder. This means you have purchased a long lease on your home but the building is still owned and managed by the council.

Our council leaseholders' handbook is available to view or download below. This contains information about being a council leaseholder, including how the service charge is calculated, what your responsibilities are under the lease, whether you can jointly buy the freehold, consultation when major works are proposed, and what you need to do if you want to let out your flat.

Leasehold Management is a complicated area, with everything governed by the terms of the leases, by law or by regulation. Our handbook aims to explain the rights and responsibilities of both homeowner and the council, but it is not meant to give a full interpretation of the lease or the law. If you are in any doubt about your rights or duties, then you should seek specific advice.

If your contact details change or you let your property out, please let us know by completing our online change of details form. Alternatively, you can download the leaseholder change of details form (PDF 26Kb) and return it to us at the address below.

As a council leaseholder, you can benefit from the competitive contract costs the council has secured for some of its services.

You can contact Mears directly on 0800 052 6140 or by emailing if you would like a quote on any of the following:

  • Exterior doors, including fire doors
  • Electrical checks and rewires
  • Kitchens
  • Bathrooms

Our contractor, K&T Heating, can provide gas services for leaseholders at competitive prices. K&T offer a range of services, from boiler servicing and cooker safety checks, to heating installation. A boiler service, for example costs £60, and annual cover packages (which all include a service) are available from £8.50 a month.

Call K&T on 01273 571531 for more information.

Mears offer competitive prices for Myson Finesse electrical heating. Contact Mears on 0800 052 6140 for more information. Payment will be required up front and there will be a one year warranty on work.

How to contact us

Leasehold Team

For general advice on your lease, your rights and obligations or your service charge:

Brighton & Hove City Council
Leasehold Team
Housing Centre
Unit 1, Fairway Trading Estate
Eastergate Road, Brighton, BN2 4QE

How to pay for your leaseholder service charges

Alternatively, you can contact our Central Collection Team to make or change your payment arrangements, for your current balance or for more information about other ways to pay:

Housing Management

The Housing Customer Service Team are your first port of call for all housing enquiries which are not repairs.


You are responsible for repairs to your flat. The council is responsible for the exterior, structure and common parts of the building.

You can report repairs 24 hours a day:

As a leaseholder, you have to get the previous written consent of the council before making any structural alterations. To apply for consent, please write to the Leasehold Team or complete and return the leaseholder application for consent for alteration form (MS Word 55kb).

Our major works information (PDF 133KB) contains useful guidance about major works, paying for major works and assistance for leaseholders facing large bills.


What to do if you suffer from damage to your property - claiming on your insurance cover.

Estates Service

Our Estates Service provides cleaning to our blocks of flats and the Neighbourhood Response Team take care of properties, carry out small scale repairs and respond to emergencies. We also have a city wide graffiti and bulk refuse removal service:

Leaseholder Action Group

The Leaseholder Action Group (LAG) works to support and represent the needs of leaseholders in Brighton & Hove City Council blocks and buildings.

You can find the minutes of the meetings on our city-wide resident groups page.

If you would like more information about the Leaseholder Action Group, please contact:

Service Charge disputes

If you dispute or disagree with any aspect of your service charge we have a three stage leaseholder disputes procedure so that the matter can be investigated comprehensively.  Any service charge dispute should be set out in writing and sent to:

Stage 1 Leasehold Team, Housing Centre, Eastergate Road, Brighton, BN2 4QL

Stage 2 Partnering Business Manager, Housing Centre, Eastergate Road, Brighton, BN2 4QL

Stage 3 Head of Housing, Housing Centre, Eastergate Road, BrightonBN2 4QL

If you are not satisfied by the outcome of the disputes procedure leaseholders have the right in law to make an application to the First-tier Tribunal to seek a determination of whether the service charge is payable and if so how much. You can write to them at: First-tier Tribunal, 1st Floor, 1 Market Avenue, Chichester, PO19 1JU

The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) publish a number of detailed booklets about leaseholders' rights, including applying to the LVT. They also offer free legal advice and may be able to advise on any appropriate mediation service that may be available.

Information about all of these services is on their website at Their telephone number is 020 7383 9800 or you can email them at

You can also view or download our leaseholder disputes leaflet (PDF 903kb).

We are committed to continuous improvement and development of our customer service to leaseholders. We undertake a full postal survey of all our leaseholders every two to three years.