Anti-social behaviour and crime

Reporting anti-social behaviour

In an emergency contact the relevant emergency service, fire, police or ambulance on 999.

There are several different ways that you can report anti-social behaviour.

​​You can also find more advice about getting help on the Safe in the City website.

Different ways you can contact our housing team about anti-social behaviour

Download a transcript of this video (PDF 12KB)

How we respond when there is anti-social behaviour in council housing

We're committed to effectively tackling and resolving nuisance and anti-social behaviour throughout the city.

Our service pledge for tenants and leaseholders shows our commitment to tackling anti-social behaviour.

We will

  • not tolerate acts of anti-social behaviour
  • take all reports of anti-social behaviour seriously, take action and keep you informed
  • offer support to vulnerable people and those experiencing anti-social behaviour

Download a detailed copy of our service pledge on anti-social behaviour (PDF 41KB).

We also have council-wide victim and witness services standards. Download a copy of our Victim and Witness service standards leaflet (PDF 127KB).

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour is:

  • Criminal damage and graffiti
  • Drug dealing
  • Harassment or intimidation
  • Noise nuisance
  • Street drinking and begging
  • Vehicle related nuisance
  • Verbal abuse
  • Violence

Anti-social behaviour is not:

  • Being unable to park outside your own home
  • Children playing in the street or communal areas
  • Civil disputes between neighbours e.g shared driveways
  • DIY and car repairs - unless these are taking place late at night
  • Life style differences
  • Young people gathering socially - unless they are being intimidating to individuals

Tenant responsibilities

As a council tenant your tenancy agreement states that you, anyone living with you, and your visitors must not behave in an anti-social manner or use your home or neighbourhood for any criminal activities, such as drug dealing.

You must not cause a nuisance, harass anyone or do anything that interferes with the peace, comfort and enjoyment of others. Examples include racist and homophobic behaviour, making too much noise, and threats, abuse or violence towards someone living in your home, neighbours, other people in the community or council officers and contractors.

You are responsible for the behaviour of every person (including children) living in or visiting your home, both within your home and in the surrounding area.

See page 32 of the tenant handbook for more details.

Community Trigger

The Community Trigger is a process you can use to ask agencies to review their response to anti-social behaviour or hate incidents you have reported.

You can use the Community Trigger if you have reported three separate incidents within the past six months to the police, the council or your housing provider and no action has been taken. You can activate the Community Trigger on behalf of someone else if you have their written consent.

Find out more about the Community Trigger.


If you are experiencing nuisance from your neighbours, firstly try to speak to them and explain how their actions are causing you problems. If you are not able to do this or this approach fails to solve the problem see the section above on how to report anti-social behaviour.

Legal action is only possible where there is clear evidence of a serious nuisance taking place. This will usually require witnesses who are prepared to attend court. In cases where two neighbours are in dispute and both complain to the council, it is very difficult for us to take action unless there are other witnesses or evidence to support what is being said by one person or the other.

Before court proceedings are issued for nuisance complaints, the court expects tenants to have participated in mediation in an attempt to resolve the problems and avoid court action.

If the nuisance involves excessive noise, action may be possible using the Environmental Protection Act 1990. If the nuisance involves dogs which are not being properly kept, your housing office can arrange for the council's Animal Welfare Officers to speak to the owners of the dog.


Harassment differs from nuisance in that it is deliberate action to cause annoyance or distress to a particular individual, family or group and is usually carried out repeatedly.

Brighton & Hove City Council will investigate all reports of harassment, discrimination, intimidation, violence and abuse. We will take all possible action to stop council tenants harassing their neighbours, racially, sexually or otherwise. This action may involve an injunction to restrain tenants or their visitors from committing acts of harassment, or serving notice on tenants and applying to the court to evict them.

Tenants are held responsible for the acts of their children and their guests. If children harass their neighbours or their neighbours' children, the council will take action against the tenant wherever possible.

In all cases of harassment we work very closely with other agencies, notably the police, and share information in order to take action against the people causing the problem. If you are experiencing harassment, see the section above on how to report anti-social behaviour.

If the harassment involves violence, threats, damage to your property, or other criminal acts, it is important that you contact the police as soon as an incident takes place, and keep a record of your complaint. The council will support all those who are harassed and take action against council tenants who carry out harassment.

The council will seek to take legal action against council tenants who carry out harassment if you, the victim, agree to this. Such action could involve the harassers being evicted from their homes.

We can arrange for graffiti to be removed and for any damage to your home to be repaired. Where emergency repairs are needed, we will carry these out within 24 hours of you reporting them to us. Ring freephone 0800 052 6140 to report emergency repairs or for less urgent repairs complete our online repairs reporting form. We will do everything we can to support victims to stay in their homes, including advice about making your home more secure and arranging for additional locks to be fitted. However, if you are unable to stay in your home because of fear of violence, we can provide you with temporary accommodation. If you need to transfer because of harassment, you will be given a high priority.

Racial harassment

Racial harassment is hostility towards people because of their ethnic origin. It includes physical assault, threats, verbal abuse, name calling, racist graffiti, letters or posters.

  • We can make representations to the police on your behalf
  • We will organise an interpreter for you if you have difficulty speaking English
  • We can put you in touch with an ethnic minority community group if you would like this

The council records and monitors all incidents of racial harassment in council housing and on council estates, and works closely with black and ethnic minority organisations.


Your tenancy agreement states that: ‘You must not cause a member of your household to leave your home by using or threatening to use violence against them or members of their family or other members of your household.’

Anyone who is experiencing domestic violence can expect help and support from the council. Our policy relates equally to women and men experiencing domestic violence and to lesbian and gay relationships. If you are experiencing domestic violence, please contact us.

Providing temporary alternative accommodation can be an immediate solution, but the council recognises that this is only one response to the problem of domestic violence.

We will do everything we can to help you stay in your home - offering advice, support and a sensitive, confidential service. We can also put you in touch with other people who can help and support you, such as RISE (formerly the Women’s Refuge Project). Should you decide to take legal action against a violent partner, we can help you to contact a local, sympathetic solicitor. We will also take action wherever possible to evict any tenant who is violent.

You can also visit the Safe in the City website for more advice about getting help with domestic abuse.

Violence or threats of violence against staff or contractors

The council will not tolerate violence, threats of violence or abusive language towards our staff and contractors and will support the prosecution of members of the public, including tenants, who assault employees when carrying out their work. Tenants who threaten staff could be taken to court and face eviction proceedings.