Sensory needs team
For visually impaired and hearing impaired children
The Sensory Needs Team (SNT) is part of the Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Services (BHISS). It is the council's provision for both hearing impaired and visually impaired children
The service is staffed by a team of teachers who all hold additional specialist qualifications in hearing impairment and/or visual impairment. We also have an Educational Audiologist, a Family Support Worker and a Mobility Officer. The primary role of the service is to support Visually Impaired (VI) and Hearing Impaired (HI) children in Brighton & Hove's schools. The Hearing Support Facility at Bevendean Primary School is an integral part of our service.
The basic philosophy of the service is to enable children to reach their potential and to take their full place in society.
Find out more about what we do:
How to contact us
Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service
Sensory Needs Team
Brighton & Hove Music & Arts Building
County Oak Avenue
telephone: (01273) 293610
fax: (01273) 293611
Saturday club 'Time Out!' and Youth Club for hearing impaired children
Our After School Club for Hearing Impaired children aims to provide an opportunity for children to meet and play with their hearing impaired friends. There are activities for children and a chance for parents/ carers to chat over refreshments.
Find out about Time Out! and Youth club.
Pre-school group and Pre-school events for hearing impaired children
Springboard play group
Springboard is a fortnightly play group for hearing and hearing impaired children to attend with their hearing and/or hearing impaired parents. It is an opportunity for parents to talk/sign while their children play together. Find out more about Springboard.
'Signed Stories' at Jubilee Library
Sul Regan, one of our Teachers of the Deaf, tells 'Signed Stories' at Jubilee Library during the regular story time once per month.
- Last Friday of each month from 10.15am to 10.45am at Jubilee Library
Useful related websites
For hearing impairment
- The National Deaf Children's Society: www.ndcs.org.uk
- Action on Hearing Loss: www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk
- AMAZE - an organisation that supports families of children with special needs in Brighton and Hove: www.amazebrighton.org.uk
For visual impairment
- The Royal National Institute for the Blind: www.rnib.org.uk
- The National Blind Children's Society is a charity providing information, advice, support and services to blind and visually impaired children: www.nbcs.org.uk
- The National Blind Children's Society provide custom-made large print books tailor made and produced in the fint size and format to suit the individual child's eye condition: www.nbcs.org.uk/customeyes
- 'Look Sussex' is a charity created by parents of children with a visual impairment, offering support and advice to families: www.looksussex.co.uk
- The Blatchington Court Trust supports young people with a visual impairment: www.blatchington-court.co.uk