Public Health in Brighton & Hove
Public health is about promoting and protecting health and wellbeing, preventing ill health and prolonging life through the organised efforts of society.
In Brighton & Hove there’s a lot we can do as individuals to stay well, but the council also has a role to play.
We work with key partners across the city – the NHS, local businesses and the community and voluntary sector – to ensure that health is made a priority in every area of life, and that everyone has access to the support and services they need to be healthy.
Annual Report of the Director of Public Health
The annual report gives an independent assessment of the health of the people of Brighton & Hove.
The theme of the Annual Report of the Director of Public Health 2015/16 is social media.
Health and Wellbeing Board
The Health & Wellbeing Board (HWB) is a partnership body bringing together councillors and senior council officers, NHS commissioners and local people which oversees the strategy for public health in Brighton & Hove. Meeting four times a year, it plans for health, public health and adult and children’s social care services across the city. All meetings are public and you are welcome to come and observe.
The board is responsible for agreeing and publishing:
- The Joint Health and Wellbeing Strategy (PDF 312KB) - this sets out the action underway in five priority areas: cancer and cancer screening; emotional health and wellbeing (including mental health); dementia; healthy weight and good nutrition; and smoking.
- Happiness, the Brighton & Hove mental health and wellbeing strategy (PDF 1.37MB) brings together the work of the council and the Clinical Commissioning Group to improve the mental health and wellbeing of people living in the city.
- The Joint Strategic Needs Assessment - This website provides analysis of the current and future needs of the population, along with in-depth needs assessments of key issues for the city. Also know as the JSNA.
- Better Care in Brighton & Hove - how we will help our frail population stay healthy and well
We have produced a directory for front line workers (PDF 383KB) of Health & Wellbeing services in the city commissioned by the council's Public Health Department.
The Public Health Communications Calendar (PDF 441KB) summarises the public health campaigns run by
- Brighton & Hove City Council Public Health Directorate
- NHS Brighton and Hove Clinical Commissioning Group
- Public Health England.
Find out about Health Promotion Training courses
Local health services
Local health services has information on local doctors, dentists, pharmacies and opticians.
Adult social care gives more about the support the council provides for people living with a range of health issues.
My Life has information about local health.