Mental health and wellbeing - what you can do
Five ways to wellbeing
These are five easy evidence-based things people can build into their daily lives to improve wellbeing, protect mental health and increase emotional resilience.
Follow the links below for details of the five ways and suggestions of what you can do locally.
You may find this 5 ways to wellbeing leaflet (PDF 198 KB) helpful.
Books on prescription
Reading Well books on prescription helps you manage your wellbeing using self-help reading. The scheme is endorsed by health professionals and supported by public libraries. Mood-boosting books are also available to borrow from local libraries.
Innovation fund projects
As part of the city's mental health and wellbeing strategy, we introduced the Innovation Fund to provide small grants for projects in the city aimed at helping people improve their mental wellbeing. Details of the projects currently being funded through the scheme are available below:
2015 Innovation Fund
- Innovation fund project summary (PDF 142KB)
- Innovation fund project details (PDF 230KB)
- A report on our mental wellbeing innovation fund scheme in 2015 was published in March 2016 (PDF 99KB)
2016 Innovation Fund
2017 Innovation Fund
Try these apps
- NHS choices health apps library for mental health and wellbeing apps rated by the public and the health care community
- Mind Brighton & Hove provide a directory of mental health and wellbeing apps.
Find out more
- Get support and find out about local services
- Mind in Brighton & Hove gives advice and information about mental health, including where to find support for yourself or someone you’re concerned about and a comprehensive local directory
- Rethink has mental health information and advice
- Big White Wall offers information and advice as well as online support
- The Mental Health Foundation is the UK's leading mental health research, policy and service improvement charity
- Time to Change is England's biggest programme to challenge mental health stigma and discrimination
- SANE offers help and mental health information
- The My Life provides a wide range of information about health and social care issues
- NHS choices offers information on many health related issues, including mental health and wellbeing
- Our mental health and wellbeing strategy brings together the work of the council and the Clinical Commissioning Group. It covers all ages and the ranges from prevention to treatment
- Get active in Brighton & Hove – discover local, free or low cost activities (including led walks, dance, exercise classes and sport sessions) supported by Brighton & Hove City Council. All sessions are suitable for beginners.
- It’s Local Actually lists activities open to anyone in the city, by type; it will let you search within a given distance of your location.
- Action for Happiness are a local group who meet to take action to increase happiness in Brighton