Commercial recycling and rubbish

Due to high demand, we are not currently accepting new trade and commercial waste business applications.

You can still email us with your contact details and requirements at and a member of the team will be in touch.

This does not affect existing customers.

Commercial waste - What we do

If your business needs a dedicated waste bin for your sole use our price includes:

  • bin hire and delivery
  • waste collection and disposal
  • duty of care certificate
  • trade waste agreement
  • administration fees

There is no VAT charged on this service.

Commercial waste sacks

If your business is in a communal bin area you can purchase sacks to put your waste out at the most convenient time for you.

  • £2.25 per sack (No VAT)
  • Sacks are sold in rolls of 25 so you only pay for what you need
  • Duty of care certificate
  • No monthly administration fees
  • No need to store refuse
  • Put waste out at a time to suit you
  • Sacks can be deposited in on-street bins or put out for collection

The size of our sacks is 482mm by 889mm by 990mm

Your trade waste sacks will be delivered within 1 to 3 working days of your order.

It is an offence for businesses to use our communal bins without purchasing sacks from Brighton & Hove City Council. A fixed penalty notice can be issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Bulky waste

We can provide a price for your commercial bulky waste on request.  Pricing may be subject to a site visit to assess the waste based on the size and weight.

What do businesses in the city need to do with their rubbish and recycling?

Businesses are required by law to arrange the safe and legal storage, removal and disposal of the recycling and refuse they create.

The council are not responsible for the collection and disposal of business waste, however do offer a commercial waste service for businesses.

If you operate a business from your home or you work as a mobile trader (for example burger vans, gardeners, builders) the recycling and refuse you produce is classified as business waste.

Your duty of care - legal requirement

Once you set up a waste collection with a registered waste contractor they will supply you with a duty of care certificate. This is your proof that you have a waste collection in place and are disposing of it legally.

If you have asked and they do not supply you with a duty of care certificate it could mean they are not registered. If your waste is then dumped or disposed of illegally, you could be held responsible. For this reason it is recommended check the company through the Environment Agency's waste carrier's public register.

We conduct regular checks across the city to make sure businesses have their duty of care certificates as do our enforcement contractor 3GS.  If you do not have legal method for disposing of your waste you could receive a fine which could lead to prosecution.

Contact the team