Report a noise problem
We investigate noise to check if it is causing a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. More information on statutory nuisance can be found on www.gov.uk.
We also have more rapid powers for dealing with continually sounding alarms.
The best way to contact our service during the week is through our online Environmental Health report form.
From 5pm on a Friday through to 9am on Monday, you can also contact our weekend out-of-hours noise service by calling 01273 293541 or emailing email@example.com. We will get back to you the following morning with the offer of a visit that day.
We're not able to deal with
- transport noise - you can find out who to contact about transport noise at gov.uk.
- noise in the street from the general public, except for busking and equipment such as generators.
- poor sound insulation or everyday noise (like walking, talking, laughing, children playing or babies crying), as case law prevents action over such matters.
Before contacting the service
Please read the information above to make sure we can deal with the noise issue affecting you.
Be aware that all complaints to the council will need to be declared when selling a property. The council will keep a record of all complaints made and certain information will be retrievable through the Freedom of Information Act.
Our involvement can sometimes aggravate matters, particularly if it's the first time the people hear that there's a problem. Before reporting an issue, you may want to consider taking your own action.
Mediation can ease situations between neighbours. Brighton & Hove Independent Mediation Service offers a free and confidential helpline on 01273 700812. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to contact the service
To report a noise complaint or for advice, contact the Environmental Protection Team through our online Environmental Health report form or call 01273 294266 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Alternatively, you can speak to someone in our customer service centres at:
You can now report noise complaints throughout the weekend, and we will get back to you the following morning with the offer of a visit that day.
Residents can call 01273 293541 or email email@example.com from 5pm on a Friday through to 9am on Monday morning.
The weekend noise nuisance service is now being delivered by our new Field Officer team.
In an emergency, please call Sussex Police on 999.
What we will do
Every case is different, but in general we will:
- Contact the person responsible and tell them about the complaint
- If the noise continues we will collect evidence by asking you to keep diaries, and sending out officers or recording equipment
- Where a statutory nuisance is identified, we will take action in line with our enforcement policy
Your name and address will not be given to the person complained about without your permission, although they may be able to guess your identity. Your details are also likely to need to be revealed if we take any legal or formal action.