Everyone is welcome to busk on public land in Brighton & Hove. You don't have to apply for a licence to busk.

Your performance should be considerate of those around you - please follow the guidance below to avoid disturbing local residents and businesses:

  • play at reasonable volume - only the nearby audience should be able to hear you
  • avoid using amplifiers
  • stop performing when asked by local residents or businesses
  • avoid overstaying your welcome by moving to a different place, at least 50 metres away, every hour
  • only perform between the hours of 10am and 10pm
  • do not use drums when performing - they create lots of noise and complaints

If you are being disturbed by a busker

Approach the busker if you can and ask that they either reduce the noise or move on.

If they don't reduce the noise and they stay longer than an hour, or if they regularly cause problems, please contact our team so we can investigate.

How to contact the service

To report a noise complaint or for advice, contact the Environmental Protection Team through our online Environmental Health report form or call 01273 294266 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Weekend out-of-hours noise

You can now report noise complaints throughout the weekend, and we will get back to you the following morning with the offer of a visit that day.

Residents can call 01273 293541 or email outofhoursnoise@brighton-hove.gov.uk from 5pm on a Friday through to 9am on Monday morning.

The weekend noise nuisance service is now being delivered by our new Field Officer team.

In an emergency, please call Sussex Police on 999.

What can the council do about buskers that cause problems

Problems with a specific busker

If a busker is causing regular problems in the city, we may investigate them for causing a 'statutory nuisance'. This is defined in the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

We will try to gather evidence about the problem. With the help of the police, the busker causing the problems could be given a noise abatement notice. This would stop them from busking in parts of the city, or the whole of Brighton & Hove.

If they break a noise abatement notice, we could take their equipment with the help of the police. If the perosn is prosecuted, there is no limit to the fines the court could give.

Problems with multiple buskers in the same location

We have no power to deal with busking problems where disturbance comes from the overall impact of different buskers playing in the same location.