Hiring out horses licence
Any businesses which hires out horses for riding or for riding lessons are required to be licensed. This includes riding schools and those that hire out horses, trekking, loan horses, pony parties (but only where the ponies are ridden), hunter hirelings, polo/polocrosse instruction and pony hire, pony and donkey rides.
Activities that do not require a licence:
- Businesses that run pony parties where none of the ponies are ever ridden – these should be licensed as animal exhibits.
- Individuals who occasionally lend a horse, even if a small fee is charged, where there is no profit made and no intent to make a profit.
Premises will be inspected regularly to ensure that the standards of accommodation are being maintained. Veterinary inspections are necessary to ensure that horses and ponies are in good health and physically fit for the purpose.
Apply for a licence
Return your application forms to:
Brighton & Hove City Council,
2nd Floor Bartholomew House,
- National guidance set out in the regulations (PDF 686KB)
- General licence conditions that will apply (PDF 461KB)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01273 292170