Dog breeding licence
Any business breeding dogs at home or in a commercial setting requires a licence from their local authority. This includes:
- anyone breeding three or more litters of puppies per year (unless they can show that none of the puppies have been sold).
- anyone breeding puppies and advertising a business of selling them, as defined under the business test in the national guidelines. This is irrespective of the number of litters produced per year. This is not restricted to registered businesses – individuals can also be classed as a business depending on the extent of their activities.
On receipt of an application, and assessment of the information provided, an officer will arrange to visit the premises. It may also be necessary for a report to be obtained from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner. On grant of a licence, conditions will be imposed and details provided of records that must be kept.
Apply for a licence
- Download an application form (Microsoft Word 145KB)
- Animal Licensing Privacy Consent Notice (Microsoft Word 24.63KB)
- Licence application fees
Return your application forms along with the Privacy Notice to:
Brighton & Hove City Council,
2nd Floor Bartholomew House,
- National guidance set out in the regulations (PDF 686KB)
- General licence conditions that will apply (PDF 603KB)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01273 292170