Providing proof to support your Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction claim

How to provide proof to support your claim

You can speed up your application by submitting your evidence electronically.

Providing proofs by e-mail

All e-mails should be sent to:

 If you have a claim reference number, please include this in the subject of your e-mail. If you do not have a claim reference, please include your name, address and National Insurance number.

We can accept scans and photographs of documents attached to e-mails. Image quality must be good enough to allow us to read the information in the picture.

Photographs taken on phones are normally acceptable. Please note, if you are sending e-mails from your phone, charges may apply from your mobile network, if you are unsure about this, please contact your mobile network provider.

If you have a brief question regarding your claim this can be included in the e-mail and will be responded to by the officer dealing with your claim. For more complex enquiries it may help to phone us or visit our office.

Providing proofs by post

Documents can be sent by post to:

Revenues and Benefits, BHCC, PO Box 2929, Brighton, BN1 1PS

All original documents will be returned to you. We would recommend that you send any original documents by recorded delivery.
We cannot accept any responsibility for documents that are lost in the post.

Providing proofs in person

You can provide documents in person by visiting us at:

Customer Service Centre, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE

Open times: Mon to Fri 8.45am to 4.30pm - excluding bank holidays


Proofs and evidence required

We need the following information to check your claim for housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Proof of National Insurance number (for new claims only)

New claims require original documentation, copies are not accepted. One item for each of you such as your:

  • P45 or P60 for last employer
  • National insurance card
  • Wage slip
  • Letter from Department for Work & Pensions or the Jobcentre Plus
  • Letter or tax code from HM Revenues and Customs
  • Occupational pension slip

Proof of identity (for new claims only)

Up-to-date driving licence, passport, utility bill or bank statement. We can also accept birth or marriage certificates, divorce papers, medical card, residence permit, letter from the Home Office, probation officer, solicitor, social worker or Revenues and Customs. If you have a partner (same or opposite sex) we will need proof from them as well.

We must see originals of passports and EU identity cards. You can provide these in person by visiting our office or by sending the original by post. We would recommend that you send any original documents by recorded delivery. We cannot accept any responsibility for documents that are lost in the post.

Proof of earnings (for each of you)

We need one of the following:

Proof of self employed earnings (for each of you)

If you're self employed, we need your most recently audited accounts or a completed self employed form. If you require a Self Employed form:

Proof of benefits, pensions or allowances (for each of you)

We need either your current award letters from Department for Work & Pensions or other pension provider.

Proof of any other income

This includes student grants, loans and bursary.

Proof of savings and investments (for each of you)

We need statements for the last two months for:

  • bank and building society statements
  • Post Office account statements/pass-books for the last 2 months.

For all other investments and capital, please provide certificates or other documentation.

Proof of rent (private tenants and housing association tenants only)

We need one of the following:

  • current tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord or agent
  • fully completed and recently updated rent book.

The proof needs to confirm your

  • rent and any service charges you pay
  • the date you moved in
  • whether you are a joint tenant.

It needs to be signed by you and your landlord and confirm your landlord's address.

Proof of income, capital and savings for all non-dependants

These people who are non-dependants will be listed in Section C of your claim form.

Proof of child benefit and any other income and savings for all dependants:

We need proof of your children’s date of birth if the evidence supplied does not include this.

Proof of payments to a registered or approved childminder

​We need proof such as a receipt.

Proof of payments to a pension scheme

If your pension contributions are shown on your wage slip, then we won't need this additional proof.

Proof of your student course with notification confirming how many guided learning hours you do

We need a letter from your course provider with this information.