Contact the Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction team
Check online for the information you need before you contact us
Find out how to:
- apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
- report a change in your circumstances
- apply for Discretionary payments and Local Discretionary Social Fund
Other ways to contact us
When you contact us, please make sure you include your:
- Date of birth
- National insurance number
- Postal address
- Claim reference number (if you have one)
Brighton & Hove City Council,
PO Box 2929,
Line are open from 8.30am to 5pm from Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
- Telephone: 01273 292000
- Minicom: 01273 290333 (for people with speech or hearing difficulties)
- Landlord line: 01273 296647
- Report benefit fraud: 01273 291847
- Overpayments repayment line: 01273 291970
- Access the benefits service in other languages
- Fax number: 01273 291234
Brighton Customer Service Centre (view map)
Brighton, BN1 1JE
Customer service centre is open from 8.45am to 4.30pm from Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).
We operate a drop-in service on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday, we're offering extra support to help you access the online services instead of the usual face-to-face service.
The majority of queries can be dealt with by visiting us on a drop-in basis. If you attend the Brighton Customer Service Centre, you can get assistance from benefit staff to make an online claim in the self help desk area.
The customer service centre is wheelchair-accessible and has induction loops available for the hard of hearing
Book an appointment
- If you have a complex query or unavoidable commitments that restrict the times you can visit, we may be able to book an appointment with a benefits officer.
- Appointments are available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9am onwards. The latest appointment slot available is 3.30pm.
- To arrange an appointment call 01273 292000.
Handing in documents at Portslade Town Hall housing office
You can hand in documents at Portslade housing office:
Portslade Town Hall (view map)
Portslade, BN41 1YF
Portslade housing office is open from:
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm
- Friday: 9am to 4.30pm