Registering to vote as a student

A general election will take place on Thursday 8 June 2017. 

The last day for us to receive your proxy vote application is Thursday 31 May at 5pm. In exceptional circumstances you can apply for an emergency proxy vote up to 5pm on the day of election.

Read our frequently asked questions about voting and elections

If you are a student living away from home, you may register to vote at both your university term time address and your home address if they are in different electoral areas.

This means that you can vote wherever you are at the time of the election. Please note that it is an offence to vote more than once in the same election.

You may vote in local elections from both addresses if they are for different local councils, as they would be classed as two separate elections.

You may only vote from one address for national elections, such as a general election.

The quickest and easiest way is to register to vote on GOV.UK.

If you are going to be away on the date of the election you can request a postal or proxy vote.

Who can vote

To vote in the UK parliamentary election you must be 18 or over and a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen.

To vote in the council and parish elections, you must be 18 or over and a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen living in the UK.

Check the list of eligible countries (PDF 89KB) to see if you are able to vote