The leader is appointed by the Annual Council Meeting held each May. The leader is the most senior member of the council and oversees that it runs effectively. Together with the Chairs of policy and regulatory committees, the leader makes sure decisions are made quickly and effectively.
The leader of the council is currently Councillor Daniel Yates. Daniel was elected leader at the Annual Council Meeting on 17 May 2018.
Daniel was first elected to be a Councillor representing the Moulsecoomb & Bevendean Ward in 2015.
The role of leader of the council
The leader works closely with the officers of the council, especially the chief executive, to make sure that the decisions of the council are acted upon and that the council abides by the law and the constitution of Brighton & Hove City Council.
The leader of the council is responsible for:
- making decisions
- setting policy direction and council priorities
- working with the chairs of other committees
- chairing the Policy and Resources committee
- working with other organisations to benefit Brighton & Hove
- working with the mayor as an ambassador for the city and the council