Contaminated land

We have a legal duty to carry out inspections to identify contaminated land in the city.

Report potentially contaminated land

If you think something is happening that could contaminate land, or you think a piece of land is already contaminated, contact us on 01273 294266 or email us at

Request for information on contaminated land

You can download a copy of the contaminated land register (PDF 106KB), containing a list of all formally determined contaminated land sites in Brighton & Hove.

You can ask us for the information we have on potentially contaminated land in a specific area through the Freedom of Information team.

Requests for information held on contaminated land fall under The Environmental Information Regulations 2004.

If you would like advice on the requirements for developing on potentially contaminated land, please see our page on advice on contaminated land requirements for planning applications.

Information on Radon

Radon information and mapping is held by Public Health England and is freely available online on the UK Radon website. Radon information is not held by Brighton & Hove City Council.

The majority of Brighton is rated at 1-3% risk of Radon, with some areas being higher. That essentially means that for every 100 houses in the area, you may expect 1 to 3 of them to have levels above the "action level" for radon of 200 Bq/m3. Without testing, you could not state whether a property will contain radon levels in excess of the 'action level'.

Public Health England sell a Home Measurement Pack. These tests take 3 months and require the house to be occupied at the time.

Information on Japanese Knotweed

Please check the advice and information about Japanese knotweed and other invasive plants on

It is an offence to not control Japanese Knotweed or allow it to spread.

We recommend that you get independent legal advice if a neighbour is allowing Japanese Knotweed to spread on to your property.

​You do not need to tell us about Japanese Knotweed.

While a local authority can take action, the large investment of time and resources involved means that we will not normally get involved with Japanese Knotweed on private land.

If you find Japanese Knotweed on council land, please tell our Cityparks team by emailing

For more info, check our Japanese knotweed leaflet (PDF 276KB).

The relevant legislation for Japanese Knotweed is:

Derelict tank register

Derelict tank records are held by the fire authority.

If further information is required please make contact with the Petroleum Officer at East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service on 01323 462130 (there may be a charge).

Groundwater enquiries

Please get in touch with the Environment Agency.


Call: 03708 506 506

Contaminated land strategy

The contaminated land strategy explains how we inspect and deal with contaminated land in the city.

You can download a copy of the strategy: