Report an environmental nuisance

The best way to contact our service is through our online environmental health report form.

Before reporting an issue you may wish to consider taking your own action.

We investigate nuisance matters to see if they are causing a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. More information on statutory nuisance can be found at

Check our noise page for information on reporting a noise nuisance.


If an artificial light, such as a fixed security light is causing a nuisance in your home, or garden you can report it to us for investigation.

To be considered a statutory nuisance, the light would have to be interfering substantially with the use or enjoyment of your property.

We are unable deal with issues of reflection or glare.


If there is excessive dust caused by the activities of a commercial premises or building site you can report it to us for investigation.

To be considered a statutory nuisance, the dust would have to interfere substantially with your well-being, comfort or enjoyment inside your home. Case law specifically prevents us from dealing with issues of dust outside, such as dust on cars, washing or windows.

We cannot deal with dust from domestic premises.


If an odour from a commercial operation is causing a problem in your home or garden, you can report it to us for investigation.

We cannot deal with odour issues from domestic property.

If you smell gas you should call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.


Bonfires or other activities that cause smoke are not illegal, but they must not cause a statutory smoke nuisance to neighbouring residents.

If complaints are received about regular bonfires or excessive smoke from an address, then we may investigate.

For information on disposing of waste and recycling please visit our recycling, rubbish and street cleaning page.

The burning of commercial waste is regulated by the Environment Agency under the Waste Management Licencing Regulations 1994. We can still investigate commercial companies for smoke nuisance, and additionally take action under the Clean Air Act 1993 where there is thick black smoke being produced.

If you are concerned that a bonfire is out of control, please contact East Sussex Fire and Rescue.

Under the Highways Act 1980, it is illegal to allow smoke to endanger the driving visibility of a highway. If this happens, please contact Sussex Police.

Flies and insects

We can investigate insects as a nuisance when they are coming from a commercial activity, and there is a noticeable increase in their numbers which affects the comfort and enjoyment of your home.

Infestations in a residential property may be looked at as potentially being filthy and verminous.

Please see our pest control and wildlife management page for more information on pest control. 

How to contact the service 

The best way to contact our service is through our online environmental health report form.

You can also contact us by

When making a complaint you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your name, address and a telephone number - anonymous complaints are not accepted   
  • The address (or site) where the problem is coming from   
  • The type of problem, and how it is a affecting you  
  • When and for how long the problem occurs


Your name and address will not be given to the person complained about without your permission, although your identity may be guessed. Your details will also probably need to be revealed in the event of any legal or formal action being taken.