Migrants, asylum seekers and refugees
Local support for migrants, asylum seekers and refugees
Brighton & Hove Refugee and Migrant Forum is a partnership of statutory and voluntary organisations who support refugees, asylum seekers and other migrants. The forum has produced a directory of local specialist services working with refugees, asylum seekers and other vulnerable migrants in Brighton & Hove.
- Download the directory of local services for refugees and migrants (PDF 500KB) with details of local organisations that can help refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in the area and also those local organisations working to help refugees overseas. This version was last updated in March 2016.
For further details about the Refugee and Migrant Forum, or general enquiries about refugees, asylum seekers and other vulnerable people from abroad who may need services, contact the council's Community Safety Manager for Refugees and Migrants on 01273 292572.
Brighton & Hove, City of Sanctuary
Brighton & Hove is one of a large network of UK Cities of Sanctuary. City of Sanctuary is a movement committed to building a culture of hospitality and welcome, especially for refugees seeking sanctuary from war and persecution.
The local City of Sanctuary group is called Sanctuary on Sea. Further information can be found on the City of Sanctuary website. Keep in touch with the latest developments, events and campaigns on the Sanctuary on Sea Facebook page and by following @BrightonSanct on twitter
National refugee agency offering a range of information, advice and direct services in London and elsewhere in the UK.
- Main London switchboard: 0207 346 6700
- Refugee Council website
Asylum seekers are not entitled to mainstream welfare benefits. Asylum Help Services (part of a charity called Migrant Help) helps people to access Home Office support and accommodation for asylum seekers.
- Asylum Advice UK provides advice and assistance at every stage of the asylum application process. Call 0808 8000 630 or own language number to be found on their website.
- Asylum Support Application UK can assist with applying for accommodation and/or financial support. Call 0808 8000 631 or own language number on their website.
- Migrant Help website
Freedom from Torture
Formerly the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture, this organisation offers direct clinical services to survivors of torture who arrive in the UK as well as striving to protect and promote their rights.
- Telephone: 0207 697 7777
- Freedom from Torture website
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner gives information on finding a suitably qualified immigration advisor in your area.