The Greenfield biodegradable coffin
For woodland burial and cremation
The Greenfield is a strong, sturdy and lightweight coffin that has been developed for those who require an ecologically friendly and biodegradable coffin for burial or cremation. It is available to funeral directors and those wanting to undertake an independent burial or cremation.
It is suitable for cremation as it complies with the low emission levels set by the Government's Environmental Protection Act, and has been tested by the Federation of British Cremation Authorities, of which Brighton & Hove City Council is a member.
- three-part coffin: outer shell, inner compartment and lid. All made from recycled cardboard. A biodegradable liner is also provided.
- unique securing system when all parts are locked together (making the coffin very strong).
- holds up to 17 stone (107.9 kg) and will accommodate up to 6'1" (185.4cm), with a shoulder width of 23" (58.4cm).
- available in woodgrain effect, dark green or plain white.
- it can be decorated using water-based paint to personalise the coffin.
- the cost is £200.00 (including VAT). Cheques should be payable to Brighton & Hove City Council.
Payment and Collection
Payment should be made first, by contacting Bereavement Services based at Woodvale Crematorium, before collecting the coffin from the City Mortuary (see below). This is because payment cannot be made at the Mortuary itself.
Personal collections can be made by appointment between 10am to 3pm Monday to Thursday and 10am to midday on Friday. Unfortunately, the council is not able to offer delivery of the coffin.
Please telephone us on (01273) 292329 before collection.