What else do I need to know?

Knowledge of language and life in the UK

If you are applying for naturalisation you will need to prove knowledge of life in the UK as well as your English language ability and provide documented evidence of this with your application. For more information log onto the Life in the UK website.

Most people will need to pass a short test on knowledge of life in the UK at a Life in the UK Test Centre. This test is set in English and passing the test will indicate both knowledge of English and life in the UK. You can find out more about the test under useful websites.

Alternatively if you need to improve your English you can complete a course of study in ESOL with Citizenship (English for Speakers of Other Languages). You will need to provide a certificate showing the level you have attained together with a letter from the college certifying that the course had the requisite citizenship content.

If you are aged 65 or over or have a mental or physical disability that prevents you from learning English or about life in the UK you may apply for an exemption. Please contact the Home Office for further information.

How to complain

The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) at Brighton & Hove Register Office is registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, an independent body established by parliament to regulate organisations offering services of the kind on offer. Any complaints relating to the local authority service should be directed to the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC), 5th Floor, 21 Bloomsbury Street, London WC1B 3HF or tel: 0845 000 0046

More information