Support and guidance for registered childminders

Child with feet in paint

The council works to support Ofsted registered childminders Brighton & Hove.


This web page contains information to help meet the requirements of Ofsted, the Early Years Foundation Stage and local authority regulations.

There is advice on how to write your childminding documents and policies along with lots of other useful information. You can download templates and planning sheets. We've also included all the important links to other websites to support your childminding practice.

We also have a page about getting out and about, childminder drop ins and ideas for places to go.

Training for childminders

There are a wide variety of training courses for early years providers in Brighton and Hove. As a registered early years provider you can access these courses and book online. Remember that you need to renew your Paediatric First Aid every three years.

As we know it is difficult for childminders to attend courses during the day, we have invested in e-learning courses for childminders which can be completed anytime.

Ofsted has also launched a facebook page for childminders - details here.


All information on registration requirements for childminders, including publications, guidance and advice, is provided by Ofsted.  They published a new Early Years Inspection Handbook in April 2017 which is a guidance on inspecting Early Years Providers. You can Register for updates so that you receive email notification when documents are published or updated. Remember, it's very important to notify Ofsted of significant changes to your setting. From April 2018 the on line Self Evaluation form will no longer exist up-dated guidance from Ofsted can be found here. You may wish to use our Quality Assurance scheme QuILT as a form of self evaluation, for more details please contact Sheila Inwards on 01273 294525

Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and Early Years Free Entitlement

If you are a childminder caring for children aged 5 and under, you must follow the Early Years Foundation Stage framework.  You can also apply to offer Early Years Free Entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds and, if you have a Good or Outstanding Ofsted grade, you can apply to offer free childcare for two year olds.  Some 3 and 4 year olds in receipt of Early Years Free Entitlement are also eligible for the Early Years Pupil Premium.  This is additional funding for early years settings to support the development, learning and care for three and four year old children from families in receipt of out of work benefits.

Get detailed information for parents about Free Childcare for Two Year Olds, and watch our short film, Childminders, Free for 2s, showing how childminders can offer an ideal childcare environment for this age group.

Quality Improvement Schemes

QuILT is our Quality Assurance scheme that many childminders have used as their self evaluation programme. It consists of the following modules Aims, Values and Principles, Observation, Assessment and Planning, Physical Environment, Equal Opportunities, Parental Partnership, Relationships and Interactions, Leadership and Management and Learning and teaching. Each module can take up to half a term to complete with support from a member of the childminding team. For further details or to book a meeting please call Sheila inwards on 01273 294525.

Help with writing your policies

You can use our guidelines to writing policies which tells you why you need policies and what to include. You will also find templates for parental consent forms and emergency permission slips.

Getting your childminding documents organised

You can use the Document Checklist to make sure you have all the relevant documentation in place.

You MUST have up to date Public Liability Insurance. It is also advisable to use official contracts, record forms, and accident and incident books. These are available from PACEY or  Morton Michel. Your contracts should include details of who has parental responsibility.

If you process information about your childminding business on a computer, or store digital photographs you will need to register with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).

The Pre-School Learning Alliance Retention Periods for Records lists requirements and recommendations on the length of time you must retain records.  This information can either be stored electronically or on paper.

Safeguarding and keeping children safe

A copy of the Safeguarding letter should be given to the parents of every child in your setting.

Use the Brighton and Hove local safeguarding children web site to ensure you are aware of Local Safeguarding Children's Board procedures.  You can also download a copy of the government booklet Working Together to Safeguard Children from here.

We suggest that you read the Themes arising from the Plymouth Serious Case Review. It gives recommendations for those working in early years settings, including childminders, following lessons learned from this case.

From 1 July 2015 all registered childcare providers are subject to a duty to have "due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism". This duty is known as the Prevent Duty. Prevent Duty Departmental Advice complements the statutory guidance and refers to other relevant guidance and advice. Childcare providers can also build resilience to radicalisation by Promoting Fundamental British Values .

Complaints procedures

You should have a written complaints policy and procedure. You can use the Guidelines to Policies document above to see what to include.

Baby playing with shaker

You must keep a complaints log with details of any complaint made against you. You can use the Complaints Log to do this.

Building your partnership with parents

What to give parents gives you an idea of the things you should share with parents. There are lots of other things you could include when you design your own welcome pack.

You should also give parents a copy of Parents' Guide to the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework to which you can add your own logo and your own text.

Planning sheets

Here are some observation, assessment and planning sheets that you can use or adapt.  For support on how to use the forms please contact your Childminding Development Officer. We also recommend you attend Observation, Assessment and Planning training.

Progress check at age two

When a child is aged between two and three,childminders must review their progress and provide parents/carers with a short written summary of their child's development.  The EYFS individual summary 2 yr check  is the format that should be used to record this information.  Here is an EYFS individual summary 2 yr check example. From September 2015 it has been a statutory requirement to share the 2 year check with a child's Health Visitor. Parents/carers should provide you with the name of their Health Visitor, but if they don't have this information you should send the check to your local Children's Centre Health Visiting Team marked CONFIDENTIAL.  Parents will be invited to complete an ASQ questionnaire with their health visitor and when this is completed a summary sheet will be completed. Parents/carers should also give you a copy of the new ASQ3 summary following their child's 27 month development check with their Health Visitor. The ASQ3 summary form is an overview of the Health Visitor check and covers the following areas:

  • Communication,
  • Gross Motor,
  • Fine Motor,
  • Problem Solving,
  • Personal Social.

It will give you guidance on whether a child's development is on schedule, requires additional learning activities and monitoring, or requires further assessment with a professional. It will also give you information about any follow-up action taken. If you would like a full explanation of the process please contact  Sheila Inwards  01273 294525


Health and Safety

Risk assessments

Five Steps to Risk Assessment (PDF 226KB) is the Health and Safety Executive guide to writing risk assessments. You can also use the Risk Assessment checklist for childminders to identify necessary actions, and the Risk assessment template (PDF 26KB) to write your action plans.

Fire Safety

You should have an emergency evacuation plan in case of fire or other emergency, and be aware of the suitable safety precautions you should take to prevent fire. The Fire Safety Advice Centre has information on all aspects of fire safety.


Public Health England have revised their guidance on infection control and produced a chart on all illnesses and infections which can be found here.  The National Health Service  has wide ranging information on all aspects of health care, including advice on bottle feeding, prevention of cot death and flu advice.

Providing food - advice on good practise

The Food Standards Agency have advice  and information for childminders. If you register as a childminder with Ofsted, they will automatically register you with your Local authority as a food provider. You can download the booklet Safer Food Better Business for Childminders which will help you to be organised.

Free Milk is available to registered providers under certain circumstances.

Working with others

Planning Permission

If you are planning to work with assistants or another childminder you may need to apply for planning permission.  In Brighton and Hove if you have more than six children on your premises at any one time then this is classed as intensification of use and planning permission should be sought. You can contact planning on 292222 for any further advice.

Key Person

If you work with another childminder or an assistant you will need to have a Key Person system in place. The Guidance to a Key Person (PDF 17KB) fact sheet explains this.  Also, the Guide to recruiting and managing childcare staff has lots of information to support you.

More information and ways to contact us

Here is a list of useful telephone numbers for childminders in Brighton and Hove.


Useful links

Join the discussion and get involved

The Facebook icon linking to our Facebook page

The Twitter icon linking to our Twitter page