Extra help and information for FE students

  • Child care

If you are between the ages of 16 and 18, help with the cost of child care whilst you are studying is available under a Government scheme called Care to Learn. Phone the learner support helpline (freephone 0800 1218989) or check out the Care to Learn Pages of the Directgov website for more details.

  • Residential support pilot scheme

If you are attending a college that is too far away from your home for you to be able to travel there daily, you may be able to get help with the cost of lodgings. Enquire or apply via your college.

  • Learner Support (Hardship) Funds

If your course requires special clothing or equipment, or if you have to spend extra money because of the nature of your course (eg for a field trip), you may be able to apply for help with the cost. Help will normally be limited to students from low income families. Ask your school or college for details.

  • General Information

The Directgov website is full of useful information about financial help for your living and learning.