Avian flu impact on free range eggs
The UK Government has put a temporary legislation in place to prevent the spread of avian flu. All egg and poultry farmers in the UK have been told to move their birds indoors on a temporary basis.
This means that an increasing amount of eggs will be labelled as 'eggs laid by hens temporarily housed in barns for their welfare'. Many supermarkets are already using these labels.
The eggs used in the school meals in Brighton & Hove are supplied by Hoad’s Farm in East Sussex. They will be labelled in the same way until the temporary legislation is lifted.
Free school meals
Did you know that you don't have to pay for a school meal for your child if they're in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2? The current cost of a school meal in primary schools is £2.10.
- check if you are entitled to free school meals
School meal menus
Eden are contracted to provide menus with either two or three choices and a balanced choice packed lunch menu where requested.
- Find out which menu your school uses from the school office
- Download the October 2016 to April 2017 two choice Eden Menu (PDF 2.61MB)
- Download the October 2016 to April 2017 three choice Eden Menu (PDF 2.6MB)
- Our balanced choice packed lunch menu (PDF 145KB) is a weekly rotating menu. Some schools provide this with the dessert of the day.
Brackenbury Primary School now receives the three choice menu detailed above.
Secondary schools manage their own meal contracts. For more information, please contact your school direct.
- a variety of red meat and poultry dishes all to the red tractor standard
- sustainable fish including omega-3 rich oily fish
- local free range eggs
- balanced vegetarian dishes
- a wide choice of fresh fruit, vegetables and salad
- fresh bread, cooked on site daily.
My child has an allergy or intolerance
Find out more about how we cater for food allergies and intolerances (PDF 89KB) and other special diets.
Many parents have asked for further support and information to help them make an informed decision around school meals. The Little Book of Goodness written by the School Food Trust is designed to address these concerns.
The Corporate School Meals Contract will be provided by Eden Foodservice (part of the Interserve Group) and is administered by the School Meals Team. Any schools that have opted out of this contract, as well as PFI schools, will have their own arrangements.
Find out more about Eden Foodservice.
If there are any queries regarding school meals, please email email@example.com or call the following numbers:
- for comments, complaints, compliments and contractual issues, please contact the School Meals Manager on 01273 293590
- to enquire about a job then please call Eden Foodservice on 01273 818892
A small selection of local and national organisations useful to School Meals.