Become a school governor
Our schools need committed and engaged governors from a range of backgrounds, who can bring different insights and experiences to their governing boards.
This could include:
- strategic leadership skills such as development planning, chairing meetings or budget monitoring
- knowledge of the local community, either where you live or work
You do not have to be a parent or an education expert, but you do need to be a good team player and willing to learn more about your role. This can be done by attending training, school visits and sharing information and experience with other governors. Anyone aged 18 and over can apply.
We are keen to ensure that the membership of our governing boards reflects the diversity of the pupils in our schools and communities. So, we welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from black or minority ethnic backgrounds.
This short video offers a unique insight into what’s involved, with a couple of school governors talking about their role and how rewarding they find it.
Further details about the role can be found in become a school governor (PDF 170KB).
How to apply
In the first instance, please contact the School and Governance Development Team (details below), who can check where there are current vacancies. You should then send in a co-opted governor application form (MS Word 98KB), which the team will forward on to the relevant chair of governors and headteacher.
If you have the skills and experience they're looking for, they'll arrange an informal meeting in the school and explain their recruitment process to you. In some cases, we may ask you to consider another school, as those skills may already be covered by the current membership of that governing board. The team will do what it can to find a suitable school in your chosen area.
If you have a background in school governance, education or children's services, please contact the team first, as you could be considered for a local authority governor post and there is a different application form and process.
A few of our current vacancies are listed below, but there are a number of others across the city. Please contact us for a full list.
- Governor vacancy: Brackenbury Primary School (PDF 204KB)
- Governor vacancy: Coombe Road Primary School (PDF 338KB)
- Governor vacancy: Fairlight Primary School (PDF 255KB)
- Governor vacancy: Hertford Federation (Hertford Infant and Junior Schools) (PDF 90KB)
- Governor vacancy: Homewood College (PDF 158KB)
- Governor vacancy: Hove Junior School (PDF 295KB)
- Governor vacancy: Stanford Infant School (PDF 212KB)
- Governor vacancy: Stanford Junior School (PDF 330KB)
- Governor vacancy: St Andrew's CE Primary School (PDF 258KB)
- Governor vacancy: St Mark's CE Primary School (PDF 125KB)
School & Governance Development Team
Phone 01273 293 465