Advice for parents and carers
There's a lot that parents and carers can do to support regular and punctual attendance of their children at school. The following tips will help:
- get to know your school's policies on attendance and behaviour
- take an interest in children’s school life and work
- ensure children only miss school for legally allowed reasons, such as illness or days specifically set aside for religious observance
- help children arrive at school on time each day
- talk to the school if children are reluctant to attend
- attend parents evenings and other school events
- read all letters that children bring home from school (check school/book bags)
Remember one school day lost can never be retrieved.
Holidays in term time will only be authorised by a school in exceptional circumstances.
For more information please contact the access to education service
Access to education service
Brighton & Hove City Council
Tel: (01273) 293580