Transport for children and young people with special educational needs or disability (SEND)

In Brighton and Hove, children and young people with special educational needs and/or a disability may be eligible for certain discounts or assistance with travel.

On this page, you’ll find information on getting assistance with:

Transport to school or college

Transport to school for 4-16 year olds

Brighton & Hove’s Home to School Transport Policy covers ‘Pupils with Special Educational Needs, a disability or mobility problems’.

This document is for parents of children aged four to 16, local authority officers and schools. It explains what the council must provide when it comes to transport to school, for example:

  • what kind of assistance is available
  • how to apply
  • who is eligible
  • how cases will be assessed
  • parental responsibilities.

Read Brighton & Hove City Council’s Home to School Transport Policy (PDF 754KB).

Information on pupils with SEN and disabilities begins on page 9.

Transport to school or college for 16-24 year olds

A policy statement on transport for students in further education aged 16-24 covers public transport arrangements including:

  • assistance for students who are on a low income
  • assistance for students who have learning difficulties or disabilities.

Information on travel assistance for students with learning difficulties and disabilities starts on page 3.

Read Brighton & Hove City Council’s Transport Policy Statement (PDF 162KB) for Students aged 16 to 18 in Further Education, Continuing Students aged 19 and over and 19-24 Year Old Students with Learning Difficulties or Disabilities.

Contact us about home to school transport

Transport to school or college

If you need more information on transport to school or college, contact the home to school transport team:

Requests for transport

New requests for transport for children and young people with special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND) can be made to the SEN Team:

Public transport

Find out about special passes for travelling by bus, train or taxi if you have a disability.

Concessionary bus passes

Your child may be eligible for a concessionary bus pass if they are five years old or over with a physical disability or a learning disability.

If you’re a young person aged 16 to 25 with special educational needs and/or a disability, you may also be eligible. And if you’re 18 years old or older and not allowed to drive because of a medical condition you may also be able to get a bus pass.

Read more about discounted fares for 5-18 year olds.

Taxi vouchers

If you are unable to use your bus pass because of a disability, you may be eligible for taxi vouchers instead.

Door-to-door transport (Easylink)

The Easylink bus service is for people who find it difficult or impossible to use buses, including wheelchair users. Easylink buses serve all of Brighton and Hove, providing transport to and from superstores, the city centre and local shops.

Find out more about Easylink buses door-to-door transport.

Driving and parking

In cases where you are using your a car to take your child from A to B, you’ll need to know about what provision there is for driving and parking in the city if your child has a special educational need and/or a disability:

General information about driving around the city

Read general information about travel, transport and road safety in Brighton & Hove.

Blue Badge scheme

You may be eligible for a Blue Badge if you or the child or young person you care for has difficulty walking long distances. Blue Badges are usually only given to parents and carers of children who are over 2 years old.

The Blue Badge lets you park in special disabled parking spaces anywhere in the country so that disabled people with severe mobility problems can access goods, services and other facilities by allowing them (or their carer) to park close to their destination.

Special rules for children under three

A parent of a child who is under three years old may apply for a Blue Badge for their child if the child has a specific medical condition which means that they:

  • must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment (for example, ventilators) which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
  • need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or be quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital

We’re responsible for deciding whether you’re eligible and may ask you (if you’re a young person with SEND) or your child to have a mobility assessment with a medical professional such as a physiotherapist or occupational therapist.

Disabled parking bays

If your child has problems with getting around and has a Blue Badge, you may be eligible for a disabled parking bay outside your house if you don’t already have off-street parking.

It’s important to note that, although it will be outside your house, the parking bay is available for use by anyone who has a Blue Badge.

Find out about applying for a disabled parking bay or parking in a disabled bay if you have a Blue Badge.

You may also be interested in

Read general information about planning your school journey, for example, what we are doing to make your journey to school easier, safe and sustainable travel options, alternatives to driving and information on walking and cycling.


Please let us know if something is wrong with this page or if you have any feedback