Social care for 16 to 25 year olds with SEND

16 and 17 year olds

Social care services for under 18s with more complex needs are managed by the Integrated Child Development and Disability Service, based at the Seaside View Child Development Centre. To access these services, your child's needs will be assessed by the social care team at Seaside View. Find out more about social care services for children and young people aged 0-18.

18s and over

Once a young person with SEN and disabilities turns 18, any social care support they might need becomes the responsibility of the adult social care team. If they have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan or a statement of SEN, their future social care needs should be considered as part of the preparing for adulthood process started during their Year 9 annual review. Read more about preparing for adulthood

From 18, all enquiries about adult social care should be directed to the adult social care Access Point on 01273 295555 or

Social care services for over 18s with SEND and their families

Below are a list of services that help support the care needs of young people aged 18 to 25 with special educational needs and/or a disability and their families.

  • Access Point is the first point of contact for all adult social care enquiries
  • Autism Sussex run day activities for adults with autism and Asperger's syndrome​
  • Carer's emergency back up scheme provides home based care at short notice for up to 48 hours in the event of an emergency
  • Crossroads can help with your care needs and give your carers a break.
  • The Platform (formerly Care Co-ops) Employability courses, work training placements, day services and community personal assistants
  • Futures Life Skills Centre at Chailey Heritage Supports young adults with complex physical disabilities and health needs to develop life skills in preparation for adulthood.
  • Grace Eyre promotes independence for adults with learning disabilities through creative and social activities and help with housing, skills and employment
  • Integrated Learning Disability Team enables adults with learning disabilities to achieve more in their lives
  • Occupational Therapy (Social Care) organises equipment and adaptations that help young people with more significant needs to maintain their independence
  • Possability People (formerly The Fed) offers a range of practical services that enable disabled people to achieve or maintain independence
  • Scope provides home care, community support, group activities and employment services
  • Support for carers includes assessments, resources, looking after yourself, help for young carers​
  • Supported employment helps disabled people to find and maintain employment. They can also support disabled people who are in work who are finding it difficult because of their disability
  • Supported living offer housing and support in one package to enable adults with additional needs to live independently
  • Shared lives support adults who are unable to live independently
  • Youth Employability Service help 16-25 year olds with an EHC plan or statement of SEN to move into employment, education or training
  • The Outlook Foundation provide supported living and preparation for adulthood services for adults with mild to moderate learning disabilities

You may also be interested in

Useful organisations or resources

  • Brighton & Hove City Council’s My Life website is an online directory listing local Brighton & Hove and national organisations and services to support everyday living.  
  • Amaze can offer information, advice and support directly to young people with SEND up to 25. Call their helpline on 01273 772289. Their Through the Next Maze handbook for parents young people with SEND from 14-25 offers lots of information about social care services, assessments and legislation. Read it on their website or call their helpline for a copy.


Please let us know if something is wrong with this page or if you have any feedback