Identifying and assessing special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

What to do if you are worried about your child

If you are concerned about your child’s health or development, you should speak to a professional who works with you or them in the first instance. Depending on your child's age or circumstances, this might be a health visitor, nursery worker, teacher, social worker or your GP.

You can also contact Amaze, the local SEND Information, Advice and Support Service, for advice around diagnosis and assessment.

Where and how your child may be assessed

If your child is at school or nursery, there are certain set processes for assessing their needs and the support that may help them. Find out more about how schools and other settings must support children and young people with SEND 

Where there are shared concerns about a child or young person’s developmental progress, they may be referred for assessment through the following services:

The assessment process might involve seeing different specialist services or being seen in more than one place, for example at the Seaside View Assessment Centre or school or nursery.

Additional helpful information

Read a detailed overview of identifying special educational needs for all age groups from GOV. UK.


Please let us know if something is wrong with this page or if you have any feedback