Educational Psychology Service

The Educational Psychology Service works to promote the educational, social, emotional and mental health needs of children and young people in the context of their families, schools and communities. Educational Psychologists work to support a wide variety of children and young people from 0 to 25 years of age. This may include:

  • behaviour difficulties including children at risk of exclusion
  • supporting emotional well being and mental health
  • social needs including for children and young people on the autistic spectrum
  • learning difficulties
  • school refusal and non-attending children
  • children and young people in care
  • children and young people who are offending or are at risk of offending

In addition we also support school staff, families and other professionals.

We do this through:

  • consultation and assessment. This includes writing psychological advice, attending multi-agency meetings and problem solving to help prioritise Educational Psychologist involvement
  • training for schools, parents, carers and other professionals
  • advice, support and guidance to teachers and school staff in the context of a consultative framework
  • direct Interventions - this may include direct work with a child or their family using cognitive behaviour techniques, Video Interactive Guidance (VIG), solution focused/oriented approaches, Play Therapy or Motivational Interviewing
  • research and evaluation
  • response and support for schools in the event of a sad event/critical incident

Where is it located and what area does it cover?

We are based in 3rd Floor Kings House, Grand Avenue, Hove, BN3 2LS.

We support people across the whole city. We also provide a service to children from Brighton & Hove with Special Educational Needs who are placed (by the Local Authority) in schools outside of the Local Authority.

Who can use the service?

We support children and young people (0-25 years) with:

  • physical disability
  • sensory impairment
  • Social Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)
  • Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC)
  • specific learning difficulties (eg Dyslexia)
  • general learning difficulties
  • speech language and communication difficulties
  • medical needs (if this impacts upon a child's education)

We provide a service for early years settings, schools and colleges working with children and young people 0-25 years. We provide consultation and training for parents/carers and other professionals.

We work with children and young people (typically 0-19) who have additional factors that significantly impact upon their psychological wellbeing and/or learning.

As part of our assessment we can work with any agency involved with a child or family. Typically we work with health professionals including Consultant Community Paediatricians, Health Visitors, School Nurses, Speech and Language therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) practitioners. We also work with professionals from social care e.g Social Workers. We have links with professionals within the Youth Offending Service, the Virtual School for Children in Care and other key agencies as well as working with educational support services within early years settings and local authority school.

How can I start using the service?

The Educational Psychology Service does not work on a referral basis. Access to the service is made by a request for involvement and then through consultation between the person who makes the request and an Educational Psychologist. Typically requests for Educational Psychologist involvement are made by schools through the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo). Educational Psychologist involvement is sometimes requested by other local authority agencies such as: Youth Offending Service, the SEN Team and the Children in Care (CiC) team. Educational Psychologists provide advice for statutory assessment; in these cases Educational Psychologist involvement is a legal requirement and requested as part of the Education, Health and Care needs assessment process by Case Work Officers (CWOs).

How are decisions made about who can use the service?

In consultation with the person making the request for Educational Psychologist involvement or via the Local Authority statutory process.

If you are worried about any decision about accessing our service you can discuss this with the person who made the request for our involvement.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

Day to day feedback and service evaluations. Parents are invited to respond after each piece of work we do by completing a questionnaire. In addition we undertake an annual school survey to find out their views on our service. We also have good links with organisations such as Amaze, the Youth Offending Service, the Virtual School for Children in Care, PRESENS, Seaside View and local Children’s Centres.

We use interpreters, signers or accessibility equipment when needed.

We work to an assess, plan, do, review cycle as highlighted in the SEN Code of Practice. The way progress is reviewed is dependent upon how we are involved. Typically this can happen through Planning and Review Meetings (PARMS) within schools, attendance at Team around the Child/Family (TAC/TAF) meetings and consultation reviews.

Is your service fully accessible?

We typically see children and families within the community i.e home and school visits.

Part of the role of an Educational Psychologist is to gather and understand the views of the people we work with.

What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

All Educational Psychologists are fully qualified and registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) which is our governing professional body.

Who can I contact for further information?



  Tracey Williams


  01273 293481

Email: or

Website (if applicable):

 Further information for schools and council workers is available on the Wave