Cottesmore St Mary Catholic Primary School
Who we are
Cottesmore St Mary School is a larger than average primary school with 436 pupils currently on role and is a Catholic primary school that serves three parishes in Hove - St Peters, Sacred Heart and St Georges. In December 2012, the school was graded good by Ofsted in all areas with elements of outstanding. Cottesmore is a mainstream school that has lower than average numbers of children with SEND, English as an additional language and pupil premium students than found nationally. Cottesmore prides itself on its inclusive practice and has children with a diverse range of needs currently being taught at the school.
The school works with a range of external agencies to ensure the best support and provision is in place for each individual child and works hard on sharing information with parents, and offers SEND parents evenings for pupils with additional needs. Cottesmore also holds regular drop in sessions for parents of children with additional needs and English as an additional language.
What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?
- Adoption Support teacher
- BHISS - Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service, which includes:
educational psychologists; family support workers; primary mental health workers; specialist SEN teachers and specialist SEN practitioners
- Dialogue Counselling Service
- EMAS (Ethnic Minority Achievement Service)
- Occupational Therapy
- Outreach services from special schools such as Hillside
- Speech and Language
What training and experience have the staff supporting children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities had or having?
All staff have received training on:
- Supporting children with English and Maths difficulties
- New inclusion development programme on dyslexia
- Supporting children with speech and language difficulties in the classroom from therapists and specialist language teachers
- Supporting children with English as an additional language in school from EMAS and SENCO
- Supporting attachment needs in school
- Disabled parking
- Disabled toilet
Visit our website for more information on how we meet the needs of children/young person with SEN at our school