BHISS - Early Years Support Team
The BHISS Early Years support service works with all pre-school providers to offer support to children aged 0-5 with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and their families. This includes private nurseries as well as nurseries attached to schools or charitable organisations.
BHISS Early Years gives your child’s pre-school or nursery access to well qualified and experienced SEN Specialist Teachers and SEN Specialist Practitioners. They can carry out assessments to identify special educational needs, and help make changes to how your child is taught, so they learn in the best way for them.
The team also works directly with parents and families, making sure you are supported as your child begins their journey. They try to help everyone work together so your child gets the best possible start.
BHISS Early Years works with pre-school providers
All early years providers in Brighton and Hove have an allocated Specialist SEN Teacher to help them better support children with SEND. The kind of support they give to nurseries and pre-schools includes:
- Working with identified children individually or in groups
- Support with following the Assess, Plan, Do, Review graduated approach including identifying targets to go in SEN Support plans
- Help with co-ordinating requests for Education, Health and Care Plan assessments
- Staff training
- Helping the pre-school provider and parents to work effectively together
- Supporting the pre-school to access Additional Support Funding for children with SEND, to pay for the extra support they may need in their early years setting
BHISS Early Years works with children and their families
The team works in partnership with parents to make sure your child has the best possible chance to achieve their full potential, as well as offering support as you navigate these first stages as a family.
How to access BHISS Early Years support
Children are referred to BHISS Early Years following an assessment at Seaside View Child Development Centre. The service is provided to all Private, Voluntary, Independent and Maintained Early Years settings.
BHISS telephone number: 01273 293481
Senior SEN Specialist Teacher: Lorna Cadwallader
Assistant Principal Educational Psychologist: Clare Bradley