BHISS - ASC (Autistic Spectrum Condition) Support Team
The BHISS ASC team offers advice, guidance and support for schools to successfully include children and young people (aged 4-19) with an autism or social communication diagnosis. They work in maintained, academy and free schools.
BHISS ASC gives your child’s school or education setting access to well qualified and highly experienced SEN Specialist Teachers.
SEN Specialist Practitioners in BHISS can also offer support directly to families with children and young people (aged 0-19) with ASC.
Having BHISS ASC support helps ensure that children and young people with ASC are well supported in their education setting and the service works in partnership with parents to make this as successful as possible.
BHISS ASC works with schools and other education settings
BHISS ASC support in schools includes:
- Identifying strategies and giving advice specific to a child with an ASC or social communication diagnosis
- Targeted Individual and group intervention within the school
- Targeted observations with support strategies and advice offered to SENCOs, INAs or class teachers
- Support to implement the Assess, Plan, Do, Review Graduated approach including identifying targets for SEN Support plans
- Supporting the Education, Health and Care Plan process
- Working with other agencies, for example, attending TAF meetings and initial post diagnosis meetings for all children given an autism or social communication diagnosis
BHISS ASC also runs comprehensive ASC training programmes in schools on things like Social Stories, anxiety and sensory issues, etc. The service also delivers the Just Right Programme and Autism Aware Award (AAA).
BHISS ASC works with children and young people and their families
The BHISS ASC team helps to support effective parent partnership through Family Support Work. The services offered to parents or families through BHISS ASC include:
- monthly ASC parent support coffee mornings
- training for parent carers – including ‘Time Out’, an 8 week programme for parents of children with an autism diagnosis
- input from the ASC Family Support Specialist Practitioner
How to access BHISS ASC support
Support is automatically provided to all schools in Brighton and Hove and every school has a named SEN Specialist Teacher from BHISS to support their provision for pupils with a diagnosis of Autism. SENCOs at your child’s school are informed of who their link BHISS teacher for ASC is.
Each school receives an allocated amount of direct time for specific ‘in-school’ work. This is decided termly according to the number of children in the school with an Autism diagnosis.
Children and young people are referred to BHISS ASC following diagnosis at either Seaside View Child Development Centre or specialist CAMHS.
- BHISS telephone number: 01273 293481
- Email: BHISS@brighton-hove.gov.uk
- Senior SEN Specialist Teacher: Sadie Gillett
- Assistant Principal Educational Psychologist: Clare Bradley