Independent Reviewing Officers (IROs)
IROs are experienced senior managers employed by the local authority. We work separately from social workers and all other professionals that looked-after children and their families have contact with.
We have a legal responsibility to make sure that the local authority is doing everything possible to meet the looked-after child or young person's needs. This includes making sure realistic plans are in place for the child’s future.
What we do
- Make sure looked-after children contribute to and have a copy of their 'Care Plan'
- Make sure people involved with the child do what they say they will do without delay.
- Keep in touch with looked-after children in between reviews where appropriate.
- Make sure there is adequate preparation and involvement in care planning and review processes by people important to the child.
- Make sure the looked-after child knows about their legal rights, how to make complaints, having an advocate or independent visitor.
Parent & carer contributions to the reviews
IROs are always keen to ensure parent or carers have the help needed to contribute to review processes. One of the ways parents and carers can contribute is by completing our secure and confidential online forms - follow the links below. For more help or advice please contact the IRO service main number listed below.
- Parents contribution to a Me and My World review for a looked after child
- Carers contribution to child’s Me and My World review and plan
Rate My Review
IROs are always keen to get children and young people's views about how well they chaired the review meeting. This can be done on online using our Me and My World review – child or young person’s feedback, or a Rate My Review card can be completed and given to the IRO immediately after the review or returned by post to us at the below address.
Independent Reviewing Officers
The Safeguarding and Review Service
Moulsecoomb Hub South
Brighton, BN2 4SE
IRO Service main number: 01273 295973