Working with under fives

Early Years Educators / Practitioners

Early years educators / practitioners provide care, early learning and play opportunities for children under the age of five years. See working with under fives for more information about where you might work and what the job might entail.

Working with over fives

Out of School / Playwork

Out of school playworkers facilitate play opportunities and activities for school-aged children between the ages of five and eleven outside usual school hours. See working with over fives for more information about where you might work and what the job might entail.

Working in a home environment

Becoming a registered Childminder

Childminders provide care, play opportunities and activities in their own home or on other domestic premises. For more information, see Childminding - is it for me?

Becoming a Nanny / Home-Based Childcarer

Nanny's also known as Home-based childcarers, provide care and play opportunities for children of all ages within the child’s family home. They work largely unsupervised and are employed by the family they work for. Home-based childcarers do not need to be registered. However there is an Ofsted Voluntary childcare register which would confirm that they have a childcare qualification, a valid paediatric first aid certificate and a disclosure & barring service check (DBS) formally known as a criminal record bureau check (CRB) Some home-based childcarers live in, others go to work daily. The work is flexible depending on the family’s requirements. For more information, see this quick guide to registering as a nanny  and information from Ofsted about the Voluntary Childcare Register 

Brighton & Hove City Council's 'At Home Childcare Service'

Our 'At Home Childcare Service' seeks to match Ofsted registered childcarers with families who are looking for childcare in their own home. For more information see At Home Childcarer webpage.