Free childcare for two year olds

Free childcare for two year olds campaign banner - three children hold up signs saying we are two.We've got some good news for twos and you! Some two year olds in Brighton & Hove are now entitled to receive up to 15 hours a week of free childcare, or 570 hours spread across the year. Your child will meet other children, play, learn and have fun, and you will benefit from having time to yourself too.

Learning and have fun is good news for twos - see our leaflet  Free childcare for two year olds (PDF 340KB)

Where can my child take up their free place?

There are a wide range of childcare services offering free places that you can choose from, including childminders, childminder nurseries, day nurseries and pre-school playgroups. Take a look at our short film Childminders free for twos

Is my child eligible for a free place?

Once your child is eligible for a place, they stay eligible, even if your circumstances change.

If you receive one or more of the following benefits, your child may be entitled to a free place

  • Income Support
  • Income- based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Tax credits and have an annual income under £16,190 before tax
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit )
  • Universal Credit and have an annual household take home pay of less than £15,400
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit


 Your two year old can also have a free place if

  • they have a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan*
  • they get Disability Living Allowance*
  • they have left the care of the local authority under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order *
  • they are looked after by a local authority* (e.g foster care)

* You will need to provide evidence if any of the above apply to you - see application form for details

When will my child be eligible for their free place?

Your child will be entitled to a free place from the term after their second birthday. You can check if your child is eligible for a place from the beginning of the term when your child turns two.

Child's birthday falls between

They can start in their place from

1 January to 31 March The beginning of term on or after 1 April
1 April to 31 August The beginning of term on or after 1 September
1 September to 31 December The beginning of term on or after 1 January

How do I apply for a place?

Complete the two year old application form and provide any evidence that we have requested. You can send your evidence to us in any of the following ways:

  • Scan a copy and email to us
  • Photocopy your letter and post to us at;  Freepost FAMILY INFORMATION SERVICE (no stamp required)
  • Contact us and we will arrange a time and place to meet and copy your original documents

If you have more than one child, please complete a separate form for each. We will then check if your child is eligible for a place and let you know.

Our factsheet on two year olds (PDF 377KB) will help you to choose a place to meet your needs and tell you about what to expect when your child starts in their place

If you have any questions, or need help to complete the form, you can call our helpline on 01273 293545 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.