Family Information Service (FIS)
How to get in touch
You can contact us online or phone 01273 293545 to speak to an adviser.
If you have concerns about a child being at risk of harm, you should contact the council's Front Door For Families on 01273 290400.
The FIS is part of the Front Door For Families and offers a wide range of information and advice on childcare and services that can support families.
Searching for local services for families?
We produce factsheets covering a wide range of topics, of interest to families. You can view the full range on our online directory
Our factsheets include:
- Family Breakdown - information, advice and where to go for help when relationships breakdown
- New to Brighton & Hove - outlines all the key information for families new to the city
- Families of Prisoners - information, advice and where to go for support
- Family Finance - includes the main sources of financial support for families and where to go for advice
We also have a wide range of information about childcare funding.
Practical help and support for families
We can offer:
- Referrals to foodbanks and other agencies offering support
- Advice on benefits and debt and navigating the system - including welfare reform
- Applications to charitable grants for essential goods, for example, beds, cots, 'white goods'
- Help with Discretionary Social Fund applications
- Support and advice around housing and homelessness
- Advice about getting back to work
Childcare and Childcare Funding
- See our Childcare and Childcare Funding page for details
If you are a professional and want to refer a family for more in depth advice and practical support, please complete the online Front Door For Families referral form and let us know the type of help and support the family requires.