Fireworks Licence

A licence is required to store and sell fireworks on any premises under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2014. The law states that any businesses that stock explosives must register with the Local Authority.

You must apply for a licence to store up to 2,000kg (net explosives content) of fireworks or explosives at a premises.

The licence allows you to store explosives all year, however please note the sale of ‘fireworks’ is restricted to the following periods:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • on the 1st day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately preceding it.

If you wish to sell fireworks at other times, please contact us for advice as you will need an additional licence.

Please see our Information for Traders guide for full guidance on storage and sales of fireworks. For more guidance online please visit the HSE website pages for Storing & Selling Fireworks

If you would like to register for a licence please download and complete the form on the fireworks registration application page and return it to us. We will inspect premises (often alongside the local fire service) to ensure that safety conditions are met before issuing licences.

Please be advised: Due to the volume of licences we receive, we have an 8 week turn around policy, we ask that all applications are with us by 1st October 2019 to ensure time for processing. Any applications received after this time are unlikely to be authorised.

Get more information on firework displays with the HSE's Guidance to Giving Your Own Firework Display

Note for current traders:

Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015 and BS7114 Fireworks

The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015 require that from 5th July 2017 all consumer fireworks sold in the UK must comply with Part 2 of the Regulations, which includes the need for them to be CE marked. From 5th July next year fireworks that are marked as complying with BS7114: Part 2 can no longer be supplied to the public. Please be advised that if you are currently stocking retail fireworks that do not bear a CE mark and are instead marked BS7114: Part 2 they will need to be sold or returned to your supplier before 5th July 2017. Please take this into consideration when purchasing any new stock this season. If in doubt please speak to your supplier.